Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I found a 2004 artic cat f6 for sale, I was wondering how reliable these sleds are. It has 2300 miles and it’s for sale for 2k. Also the 2004 f6 has a chain case correct?

·
Super Moderator
99 Posts
If it has mechanical reverse it's a chaincase. Also, 04' Zr900 was the only model with DD as it was the first year for it in sleds.

Steve

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
The F6 was pretty reliable, had a couple co-workers back then who had F5 sleds in 2003 then one upgraded to the 2004 F6 the other to a 2004 F7 Rode it once and it seemed like decent power and pull on it. Nice suspension as well. Only thing he did was some clutch work to it along with reeds and reed cages. Also is it Carbs of EFI. If it is EFI with that many miles on it and most likely mint condition I would jump on it at 2k, I would offer up 1700 and see what he comes back at. Most likely you walk away with it at 1800 or 1900 regardless if it is Carbs or EFI

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys for your posts, The machine is efi, I’ve been doing a lot of research on this machine, and is it true these machines had a few recalls? Should I be worried about that? As I said before reliability is very important to me, I do realize I will have to maintain it regularly, but I would like it to last at least 8k miles before a engine rebuild.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
All new models end up with some recalls. If he was any kind of owner he had them done when they were issued even if they weren't they still have to do them to this day, unless the parts are NLA that is.

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
8k is NOT what you would want to do.
A rebuild is just that all new and should be good for about 5K
Some 2 strokes would only go about 3k before they need freshened!
The 04 F6 is a good sled and should work for you.
Get the Vin number and call Cat and ask what was recalled and what was done.

·
Super Moderator
17,165 Posts
Like KC said. The more power the engine has, the less miles between rebuilds. There are some 440s and 500 liquid cooled engines that may be able to go that far between rebuilds, but the number of 600+ size engines that make it to 8000 without work will be a lot less. If you replace the pistons before the piston skirt breaks, it's LOTS cheaper than if you replace them after. Trust me on that. (My 700 went at about 4k. The piston skirt broke, taking out a cylinder skirt and punching a hole in the crankcase. $2300 in parts to repair.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts