Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only light I can see that works is the Reverse light. I checked the bulbs and they look fine to me. I didn't put a volt meter on there but I read the Regulator may be the problem although why does the reverse light work? Are there fuses on these sleds? Where is the Regulator, under the seat? Any help appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
16,806 Posts
Try looking in the right footwell area. The regulator basically takes the excess voltage and sends it to ground. If you determine you need to replace it, get a Polaris one, the after-market ones are pretty iffy.

When you are testing, you should know that unregulated voltage from the stator will be AC current and becomes DC through a rectifier to charge the battery. You could test the bulbs with an ohm meter to see if you have continuity.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK so if no power at the bulbs would the regulator be a logical choice? I know the handlebar headlight switch is prone to go but I wouldn't expect the tail lights and brake light to go.

·
Super Moderator
16,806 Posts
First, test the bulbs to see if they have continuity with an ohm meter. That will let you know if the bulbs are good or not. If they are good, measure voltage at the bulb socket. If there's no voltage, it could be a broken wire, a completely failed regulator, or a bad lighting coil on the stator. If you have a brake light, I would doubt that the stator has failed. If it fails, you get NO lights. A regulator failing will blow all the bulbs, but may have not done the brake light because it wasn't on.

Isn't electrical fun! (Said no snowmobiler ever!!)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First, test the bulbs to see if they have continuity with an ohm meter. That will let you know if the bulbs are good or not. If they are good, measure voltage at the bulb socket. If there's no voltage, it could be a broken wire, a completely failed regulator, or a bad lighting coil on the stator. If you have a brake light, I would doubt that the stator has failed. If it fails, you get NO lights. A regulator failing will blow all the bulbs, but may have not done the brake light because it wasn't on.

Isn't electrical fun! (Said no snowmobiler ever!!)
JEEZ, ya I have no tail lights so maybe the lighting coil or completely blown regulator. I do believe the regulator is gone because toward the end of the season the wires to my helmet defogger melted. I had thought it was a short now I believe it was high voltage. The handwarmers also do not work. I'm just wondering what else the regulator may have fried.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts