Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a loud single click but nothing else. I'm sure the battery is fine. I swapped it into an identical sister thread and started that sled np. Could it be the solenoid? I checked the connections they look fine.

·
Super Moderator
16,806 Posts
You should be able to determine if it's a bad solenoid using a volt meter. There should be two bigger terminals on the solenoid. With the key off, there will be power to one but not the other (the one going to the starter.) With the key in the "start" position, you should have power on the other one. If you have power, there could be an issue with the starter. If there's no power, it's probably the solenoid.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should be able to determine if it's a bad solenoid using a volt meter. There should be two bigger terminals on the solenoid. With the key off, there will be power to one but not the other (the one going to the starter.) With the key in the "start" position, you should have power on the other one. If you have power, there could be an issue with the starter. If there's no power, it's probably the solenoid.

Welcome to the forum!
I replaced the solenoid this weekend after playing with the multimeter and the sled starts right up problem solved. I bought the part at my local Polaris dealer. I often like to establish a relationship with the dealer. Man the mark-up was crazy. I'll think twice about going online next time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just so you know..... $8.95 same exact brand on Amazon they charged me $50. Now that I just can't stand for.

·
Super Moderator
16,806 Posts
and that's how dealers go out of business... sigh. Personally, I will buy locally if the price is around 10-15% higher than what I can get it delivered to my door. I hate it when I walk in and they say "We don't carry that, but we can order it in for you." Gee, I can order it in for me, two days, free shipping. But $9 bucks vs. $50? That's a no brainer.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I won't deal with one of the local dealers here. Let's just say the owner is a crook,lol. He cooks his books yearly, he will not deal even when someone works at one of his other businesses and they come in to pay cash on a new 4 wheeler. He still tries to charge retail, let's just say I know because my dad after he retired from Mobil Oil worked at the Napa he owned 49% of and he knew me. Told him and his salesmen that the dealer 40 miles south had given me a price otd of same quad at 800 dollars cheaper, he refused to budge or even match it. Told him fine you just lost a cash sale, the salesmen was turning red from his anger, I looked back and he was walking out behind me with his hands shaking as it just cost him a nice commission.

So I tend to go online for 95% of the stuff I buy for my sleds, except for AMSOIL and I will go to the other dealer 30 miles north of me for small purchases or something I absolutely have to have that day.

Dealers need to adapt or they will continue to suffer and go out of business. They need to face facts that snowmobiling is NOWHERE near as popular as it once was due to the sleds costing 7-15 thousand dollars per sled. People just don't have that kind of extra income so they buy older used sleds and keep them running for years and years then upgrade again to another used sled.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts