Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2003 Yamaha viper. I was wondering if anybody knows if there is a screen kit made for the forced air induction? Seems like every time i hit some deep snow the forced air induction fills up with snow.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
there used to be a company making pre-filters for the airbox but the name slips me at this time. i have been using a product from home depot called "pet screen". its about $20 for a 4' x 7' roll. i use it as a backer to the oem vent screens and it really blocks the snow, but allows air. dont see why a product as such couldnt be reto-fitted into the cowl induction.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea i don't know why Yamaha never put screens there. Any snow that hits the hood goes in the forced air. Thanks for the info, i was thinking of making some screens for it but saw some pictures of vipers with them online. Didn't know if a place made them for sure.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
food for thought: the mtn vipers have the cowl induction totally blocked off. i assume your referring to the viper short track? piped or stock exhaust?

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
theres alot of extra steam made under the hood with the addition of pipes when you hit the powder. not only from the intake but from the other vents in the hood as well. theres a few tricks you can do to reduce this effect if you ride powder alot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do more trail riding then riding in powder. I want some screens in the cowl induction so i don't have to worry about it getting full of snow when i go play in the powder.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
find some of that open cell foam used to keep crap out of your raingutters and cut it to fit. air goes in, keeps the snow at the outer edge easily wiped away when it covers with snow.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
i made an intake on my srx using the stuff and it works well. cuts real nice with an electric knife. just dont get caught using it, unless you are single and the carving knife is yours.

·
Registered
20 Posts
would any of you have pics of the opening that would allow air to the air box mine are blocked off and its a short track , I was scratching my head why they would hace forced air induction on it when its a dead end lol.
Thanks
Rick:dunno:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats funny. I just checked mine out today and its blocked off too. It only has two small slots that go down in the engine not to the air box. Looks to me like it can be modded to go into the air box.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thats funny. I just checked mine out today and its blocked off too. It only has two small slots that go down in the engine not to the air box. Looks to me like it can be modded to go into the air box.
Yes I was thinking of doing the same thing to redirect the air flow but it runs fine now so ill stick with the way it is for now. Like the old saying goes "If its not broke don't fix it" :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts