Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I JUST GOT A NEW YAMAHA 2003 VIPER ER AND I HAVE A COUPLE QUESTIONS. HOW LONG UNTILL IT IS BROKEN IN. CAN I GIVE IT A LOT OF GAS OR SHOULD I WAIT A WHILE. I TOOK IT ACROSS A LAKE AT 80MPH A CPOUPLE OF TIMES IS THIS GOING HURT THE ENGINE OR BELT SINCE IT IS SO NEW? AND HOW LONG DO CARBIDES LAST? WHERE I LIVE YOU HAVE TO CROSS A LOT OF STREETS AND THE TRAILS STILL HAVE SOME ROCK SHOWING IN SOME PLACES.

·
Registered
9 Posts
From the user manual (which you should have - I don't have one, I just went to yamaha's website to look it up):

First 10 hours or 125 miles do not put excessive load on the engine. Avoid prolonged full throttle operation. Also avoid luggin the engine such as laborious operation in wet snow.

There are other notes regarding the break in that should be read.

ANYTIME you purchase a motor vehicle you should read the manual from cover to cover. It's all in there.

As far as carbides go. My guess is that you'll go through them fairly frequent. I'd tip the snowmobile on it's side and take a look at what they look like now. Then examine the snowmobile on a regular basis to see if the wear is excessive. There isn't a "timeline" to replace them. I've seen carbides last for years on some snowmobiles and weeks on others. It's all in the conditions you ride in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts