Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay today i was ridding my sled and the temp light turned on...so i stopped check to make sure i had rad fluid which i did. Continued on it it came on again but this time the sled had no power it was bogging big time. i had it pinned at i was only doing 30kms an hour. I have new plugs in there so its not that.

Next day which was today i pulled the head off and sure enough the piston is near gone. Burnt pretty bad and the sleve is horrible. the sled has 1400kms on it ive only owned it for 1 month or so.

My question is is there any recals on this sled???

Did i void me warrentee on pulling the head off???

I belive me warrentee ended on dec 1 anyways.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Pulling it apart might have voided the warranty, which you said was done anyway. How long were you riding it before it cooked? Did you let it warm up completety before riding it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sled was warm. I was ridding for 5 mins. I was a skidoo today and they looked at my sled the said $2000.00 to fix it.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
ive never heard of any problems like this. how many miles is 1400kms? my 600 has about 5000 miles on it, no problem yet. a guy with an 800 has about the same if not more on his, and no problem.

·
Registered
329 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the PTO side crak seal is a known issue for the 800 REV. Then the ring flacking issues, which I think were only a problem with the 600H.O. engines.
Check out dootalk.com & post over there. I'm sure a couple more knowledgable folks can point you in the right direction...

I wish the best for you! If you dealer doesn't help out try going over their head & go stright to SkiDoo.

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
where were you riding, there isn't much snow here to be riding, i wouldn't take mine out yet. Your sled was completely stock i take it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive only owned my sled couple months not even. There's more snow in rosetown (where my sled is) then in saskatoon area. And yes my sled is completely stock. Is there any recalls on this sled? Oh and 1400kms is roughly 850 miles!

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
2blue said:
Sled was warm. I was ridding for 5 mins. I was at skidoo today and they looked at my sled the said $2000.00 to fix it.
What did THEY say caused it????

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
ya i know how much snow there is, im from kindersley, where my sled is, we had enough there at the end of october. pretty minimal conditions for riding now, that would probly be why it overheated. Find out what caused it and maybe we can be of more assistance.

·
Registered
467 Posts
the 800's had the ring issue too. mine went at 1600 miles. both cyls, the crank seal is also an issue if you dont take No for an answer they will fix it for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay today i was at skidoo. Now they argued alittle that it wasn't covered but after calling skidoo head office or whatever they decided 3 hours later to call me back at skidoo dealer and offer to pay for the parts and i pay for the labor. I find this too be fair....well not really but what can i do. So i don't know what to say im alittle lost in this but whatever.

My only question is if they rebuild this engine will i get warrenttee on parts and labour??? Or can i buy extra warrentee???

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
not sure, but if the warranty ended Dec 1, why is it unfair for them to only pay for parts? i think a warranty should be on mileage, no matter how long, time wise, it takes to get up to them.

·
Registered
329 Posts
That is good to hear they are gonna atleast cover the parts. The thing that urks me, is the fight you gotta do with your Dealer to get them to do it...

Did they ever let you kow what the true problems was?

Damn I'm glad I have 2 year engine coverage *starting Feb o4.* I wish BRP would do something about the KNOWN ring issue. It worries me that I have a ticking time bomb and the time its gonna go off is when I'm all alone 50 miles in the middle of no where.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay the service advisor told me this and youre not going to like it....The rev 800 like i have now is a poor design. He said that these sleds wear down much faster then older sleds. Don't ask me why cause i dont really know in words but he had 2 other rev 800's in the shop when i was there and one had 1200kms on it and the engine is bad. The problem with the sled is a heating problem. They get too hot i guess. Thats just what he told me. Anyways the other problem is that bomb/skidoo company are having such finacial problems that they can't put enough research into these motors...Also putting recals out on this sled would cost too much for the company afford right now. Or something like that. Sounds the same story about toyota right now with there airbag problem. Whether this info is true or not i dont know accept i had stocks with these guys and i lost lots of money. Anyways checked for recals on my sled again today and none were out there for my rev 800

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
i pm'd ya 2blue

·
Registered
4 Posts
That sounds very unfortunate. After just going through a bit of an engine issue myself without warrenty on my 02 800 I found out that bombardier is offering an engine exchange program. What it is, is you give them your junk engine and they give you a totally refurbished short block for $1800. For me, it turned out to be the cheapest option. Not to mention, if you can round up a bunch of totally cooked parts and salvage all the good parts off your own engine you may end up with some valuable spares. It worked out for me and I wish you the best of luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts