Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2003 RMK 800 151". I just changed the drive belt and I'm having problems. Once it's started it wants to keep moving forward. If I put on the brake it wants to die. Is the belt too tight? Can and how do I adjust it? Thanks!

·
Registered
329 Posts
If the belt is 1/16" above the secondary when stopped
and it was idling fine before you changed the belt, you probably have the wrong belt.

If the new belt sits more than 1/16 above the secondary than you can adjust the secondary width so the belt sits properly;
also check that your secondary free floats abit on it's shaft and check your torque stop and engine mounts for security.

·
Super Moderator
18,338 Posts
New belts often require the secondary to be adjusted, the old belt was narrower from wear. Like mmgg said, adjust the secondary so it opens slightly.

Is the primary completely letting go of the belt? It could also be a sticky weight or worn roller that could be jambing the primary and not letting the belt loose at idle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was idling fine before I changed the belt. It is a factory belt and the numbers match the old one. It's sitting below the top of the secondary. I watched a couple videos on how to adjust the secondary but they don't quite match mine. How do I adjust the secondry?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts