Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2003 pro x 600 for very cheap.. in decent condition with just under 2800miles has good compression, spark, and seems to have fuel as the spark plugs are wet when you pull them out... is getting air aswell it seems.. it will run for a bit when you pour gas down the cylinders but then die out, will respond to throttle but will die out at about the same time no matter what you give it for gas. I was able to start the sled before without cleaning the carb and it did idle.still haven’t cleaned the carb and was thinking it would start again without a cleaning yet. Was wondering maybe if it had sucked something in while I had started it before? Not sure. Looked in cylinders and in carbs doesn’t seem to have anything too alarming. The sled did backfire once while it started for a short time. Maybe just cleaning the carb first would be my best bet? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
17,383 Posts
First thing to do in almost all instances is clean the carbs. The alcohol in the fuel really does a number on any small engine that sits for long periods of time. The fuel and air passages in these carbs are small and it does not take a lot of junk to keep them from running right.

good luck!

·
Super Moderator
2,065 Posts
remove the carbs and as Dan said clean them!
Also remove fuel pump and at least clean it!
Then do your self a favor and replace all the fuel lines, including the pick up in tank!
I use an electric fuel pump to suck all the old gas out!
Start with fresh Prem fuel. It may have to clean whats left in tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cleaned carbs good and now it will start and run longer and rev up but still dies after a bit.. like it slowly dies off, almost like it runs out of gas. I’ve never cleaned a snowmobile fuel pump before I’ll have to look it up on YouTube to see how you’d go about doing that, thanks for the advice

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would air lock be an issue? Don’t know much about impulse pumps and can’t seem to find a video on YouTube about this specific pump. Fuel lines look new, no blockages. Haven’t checked pick-up line, how would one go about taking that out or at least looking at it if it’s in the tank

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Think I found the issue, fuel pickup line was broke off, all of the other line had been replaced except that... kind of tricked me, anyways, I ordered a pickup line from Polaris and hopefully that’ll solve all of my issues.

·
Super Moderator
2,065 Posts
Then do your self a favor and replace all the fuel lines, including the pick up in tank!

I have had it happen!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts