Snowmobile Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
To 'floss the pilot jet you will need something alot smaller than a paper clip.
I use a short piece of 10 gauge stranded house wire, strip off about an inch and a half, fold one strand and poke threw then spray cleaner the compressed air!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hey Dan so I fixed the ves on my 2003 700 rmk and it ran fine but then I decided to go thru the carb and clean it now I got it back together and it wont start any ideas?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
yes I have spark on plugs and they are wet with fuel, I unhooked the fuel supply line from the carbs and pulled it over and fuel came out so I think it is getting fuel and spark, but it acts like the key is off almost and just wont fire up. I did take the carbs back out and checked it over didn't find any problems so I put it back in left the air box off and still no start

·
Super Moderator
17,076 Posts
Sometime on the Edge sleds that I owned, you needed to apply about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle to get the thing to fire... If you have spark and fuel, it should start. It could also be flooded. You can pull the spark plugs and crank the engine over a few times to see if you get any gas vapor out of the plug holes. There are also two small plugs under the exhaust manifold that can drain the cylinders if you have a lot of excessive fuel coming out. If you pull those plugs, you should not get more than a teaspoon of oil/condensation/fuel... any more than that could indicate that the inlet needle/seats in the carbs are not seating, which can allow fuel to enter the engine while it's sitting, or perhaps a hole in the fuel pump diaphragm is allowing fuel into the crankcase via the impulse line. You can check the impulse line (the hard rubber one going from the fuel pump to the crankcase). Disconnect it from the fuel pump. No fuel should come out of the fuel pump and the interior of the line should be dry.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yeh thank you about the drain plugs, I was about to pull the whole thing apart, I just went out in the garage and about half the fuel in the tank is on garage floor its dripping from the exhaust so I am sure every thing is flooded with fuel, anything else I should take apart to get all that extra fuel out, I will start the drain plugs now and check the impulse line thanks again

·
Registered
967 Posts
Sounds like the floats are not set right or the needle/seats are not seating right or have gone bad which is common with what has happened to you. I've had that same issue a couple times and both times the floats were off and the needle/seats were bad. Hence why I always keep extra kits in the garage now that have all that stuff so I don't have to order it until I use what I have.

·
Super Moderator
17,076 Posts
The plugs will drain the crankcase pretty well. You may want to put a bit of 2-stroke oil into the cylinders and rotate the engine a bit before trying to start it to re-lube the rings and cylinder walls.

Don't try to start it until you have given the gas ample time to evaporate... trust me on that one. Burned up snowmobiles are NOT a pretty sight...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
yes I drained at least a half a gallon of fuel out of the exhaust pipe, I cant seem to see those drain nuts though where are they exactly, I am having a hard time getting manifold off since allen wrenchs are hitting against it and not allowing me to take them off??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So if that much fuel the engine overnight then wouldn't that have to be the fuel pump hole in diaphragm? because if the machine never ran would fuel be able to gravity flow through that pump, and if so wouldn't the floats have engaged the needle in the carb bowl to shut that fuel flow ? Anyhow am going to get into the fuel pump next and check it, also am still trying to find those drain nuts, do they look like a nut or something different?

·
Super Moderator
62 Posts
Well the fuel has to get past the inlet needle and seat in the float section of the fuel bowls. I would look at replacing those if I were you. But an easy fix is to always use a shutoff valve after running it.

Steve

·
Registered
967 Posts
Regardless if you use a shut off valve after running it, if you have a bad set of needle/seats as I described you will then have issues while running it. Trust me I know been there done that on a Polaris sled twice. 1st time you stop anywhere for more then a few minutes it will load right back up with fuel. What is the point of shutting off the valve every time when you also know the needle/seats are bad.

Replace the needle/seats as I said before, set the floats right and replace the fuel pump with a new one, I am one that replaces pumps vs rebuilding as the costs are not worth it at least it isn't on mine.

·
Super Moderator
17,076 Posts
Polaris fuel pumps from the online vendors for that sled are about $130 bucks. If its bad, I would rebuild it. I'm cheap ;)They don't often go bad, though. It's easy to check by pulling the impulse line. If the impulse line is dry, the pump is fine.

I'm betting it's a needle/seat problem. Follow Coolhand and KC's and check/replace the inlet needle/seats and make sure the float is set properly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks dan and others for all your help, so I rebuilt the carburetors with a rebuilt kit, hooked it all back up except the air box, it fired right up and sounds good but their is fuel coming out of one of the vent lines that would normally hook to the air box, only one but flows pretty good, any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
62 Posts
Thats the overflow and it shouldn't do that and most likely is the inlet needle and seat isn't shutting off the fuel coming in.

Steve

21 - 37 of 37 Posts