Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 700 rmk that when I get when I give it full throttle ecspecially in deep powder, it boggs down and after a while I only can get about half throttle, letting it sit shut off for a while does seem to reset it a bit, but seems the longer I ride in the deep powder it gets worse and worse, can anybody give me some ideas??
thanks

·
Super Moderator
17,076 Posts
First thing to check is the VES valves. If they have not been cleaned in a while, they may be sticking and not doing what they are supposed to do. I would start there just to rule those out as an issue.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thing to check is the VES valves. If they have not been cleaned in a while, they may be sticking and not doing what they are supposed to do. I would start there just to rule those out as an issue.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Dan unfortunately your dealing with a real greenhorn, can you tell me more about what that is?

·
Super Moderator
17,076 Posts
Take a look here

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot I got the VES both pulled apart what do you suggest for a solvent, carb cleaner? or something else, one of my bellows had a hole in it and that valve was way carboned up so I think will help
thanks again
ERic

·
Super Moderator
17,076 Posts
I usually use a razor blade and gently scrape off the majority of the gunk and then what ever solvent I have that will cut the rest. They don't need to be perfect, just smooth. The original valves were made of aluminum and had some melting issues, especially in the 800 and were replaced by titanium valves, then stainless steel. If your valves are solid with no hollow spots, they may be aluminum, so be gentle to them. The SS ones will have one side hollowed out to make them weigh about the same as the aluminum valves.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One bellows has a hole in it , should I just replace them both at once, the other one is in decent shape

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Dan cant thank you enough got everthing out and cleaned, 2 new bellows an gaskets, I still have to clean out the cylinder side, any ideas how to get in there good and is it okay to spray carb cleaner or oven cleaner in there?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi there, thought i would jump in here as I am VERY familiar with what you are going through. I have the 600 version XCSP. but its basicall the same except for the displacement of the engine. I battled with those same bogging issues for years. BC_Dan is 100% right and what your doing is a good start! Regarding your question about spray cleaner....since it doesn't look like BC_Dan has replied yet, I will do so. What I found works very well for the cylinder side is starting fluid. It is a great cleaner and leaves no residue and evaporates quickly. Also, if it goes in the cylinder it will just evaporate or burn off. I also used a small wire brush to get the tough stuff.

Rambling on...The above work you are doing will likely solve your problem...hopefully so. But if not, its time to look at carburetors. First look at the intake reeds. Those are the transition pieces between the carburetors and the cylinders. The reeds are in that transition piece. Pull that apart and look at the reed petals (plastic things) to see what condition they are in. If they are worn, or loose or damaged, they will need replacing.

Next thing to look at is in the carbs themselves. In the float assembly there is a rubber O-ring that can deteriorate over time. Replace that o-ring and inspect and clean the carbs and that should help too.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
17,076 Posts
Glad to hear it! Good idea on the starter fluid as a solvent that Old Goalie posted. I would not use oven cleaner, it is quite caustic and may eat things you don't want eaten. I have heard of folks using oven cleaner to clean the guillotine valves, but I would not do that unless you had the stainless ones...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the help the 700 rmk responded well to the new Bellows and cleaning, running great. Now I have to turn my attention to my 1996 600 Indy triple, as it will only idle and when throttled will bog and die, any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
17,076 Posts
First step is to clean the carbs. Almost always when the engine idles ok but doesn't throttle up, the air and fuel passages in the carb are varnished up or the jets are partially clogged. You can try to turn the air screws IN a bit to make the off-idle air mixture richer. Sometimes that will help.

One thing to try is to apply the choke 1/2 way. If the sled accelerates fairly normally, that would indicate a fuel problem.

It could also be electrical, but fuel problems are probably more common and a lot easier to deal with. Clean the carbs just to rule them out as the issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
am working on the carbs now, and yes when it was idling it would start to die then I would half choke it and it would come back to life then start to die and I would have to take choke off then it would kick up again shortly then repeat

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey dan, I got the carbs tore apart and the only jet that I cannot get a small paperclip wire through is the pilot jet, is there some kind of baffle in the middle of it or an obstruction? I don't want to force it through but it goes in easy from both ends about half way??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got the 1996 running good with the carb clean, now the 2003 is acting up again at full throttle ?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts