Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have converted a 2003 440 for trail use. I have changed the heads, tank, jets, clutch weights. It is stuttering on top end. It doesnt do it all the time, but most. I have unpluged the holeshot button and checked the reeds. They look fine.
Any ides what it could be? It sounds like you are hitting the Dragon Button everytime you give it full throtle.
Any help would be appreciated...

·
four gear pinned
1,991 Posts
you have to plug it back in, when you unplug it the circut stays on warm up and not regular timing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2003 Polaris 440 Studdering

It did not matter if it was pluged in or not. The same problem occured. I didnt unplug it until the problem came up. I though it might be the Dragon Button, so I disconected it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2003 Polaris 440

What would the symptoms of a stator going bad? It seems if i ease into it, it wont stutter, or not as bad or soon.

My next step is to pull the exhaust valves. Could this be it?

·
four gear pinned
1,991 Posts
clean the ves, I dont think its the stator, its only when the engine has poor acceleration that the stator is failing. also check your lighting coil output. it should have somewere around 4v, ground the plugs on the head and pull it over.

have you done anything with the CDI?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have changed the jets from 350s to 320s. I also cleaned the VES exhaust valves. The only time it studders now is when i am at a stand still and give it full throtle.
Any ideas...

·
four gear pinned
1,991 Posts
move the needle clips up one.

what pilot jet and air screw settings?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i think the needle is set in the middle, 2nd position. But I am going to check on that. I am not sure how to adjust the air screw setting. I am sure that the pilot jets are 35.
Do you just tighten the air screws all the way and then come out to a certain point or so many turns?
I busted a resivior off of the front rear shock so I am kind of stranded and cant test it that much until I find a replacement...

·
four gear pinned
1,991 Posts
put the back on a stand, turn the throttle stop down to 500 rpm higher than idle. turn the air screw 1/4 at a time till it idles good. trun the engine of, turn the screws down tight, count what it took to bottom them out and re set.

if It take more than 2 1/2 turns to bottom the air screws out your pilot is rich.

clockwise= rich
counter clockwise=lean

1 - 10 of 10 Posts