Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum and new to snowmobiling. I have a 2003 Pantera with the 800cc engine. I had noticed that when I get up around 7000 RPM the sled bucks a bit and seemed to be starving for fuel. It did not always happen, but most times. I took it into the dealer and they determined that the previous owner had put some dirty gas in which had plugged to gas pickups in the tank. there actually rust particles clogging the pickups. They cleaned this out, but I had the sled out after that and noticed that it still has the same issue from time to time, though not as often or consistent. I did a few controlled test runs and found that sometimes it ran poerfectly revving to 8500 no problem, other times it started bucking at 7000 as noted and still other times it would simply top out at about 7000 rpm at full throttle. So, it seems to me there is still some rust in the tank plugging things up a bit. Or, could it be something else?

My question: is it fairly simply to get at the pick ups to clean them off? Could I simply fish them out through the gas tank fill hole, or do I need to take out the whole fuel pump unit, etc.?

Also, has anyone else experienced this issue (fuel starvation at about 7000 rpm)?, and if so, what was your solution?

Lastly, would you let this issue stop you from using your sled until repaired, or is this something you would generally live with for now and keep sledding? The season is so short I want to get in as much sledding as I can while at the same time recognising that I do not want to get stranded somewhere.

Thanks. Pray for snow!

Barry

·
Registered
27,165 Posts
Have to remove the cowling and fuel pump to get at the smart valves! Sould like possibly the power valves? Also there is an alcohal wire by the throtle bodies!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.