Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Edge X 800 and am having trouble with performance. It is basically stock and seems like it just doesn't have the power that it should. It has the ACE M-10 suspension and reverse. I have heard people say that both can hurt performance but have seen examples to prove otherwise. So far I have changed jets down 2 sizes, I have lowered the needles 1 slot, have had the CDI box changed, and have studded it with 144 wart hog studs 1.175. Before I studded it I could run about dead even with a xcsp 600 on the lake but he was beating me off the line because he is studded with 96 woody's studs but at top end we were about the same speed. when I ran against a AC ZL 600 with no studs I would beat him off the line and on top end. Now that I have it studded I can get the ZL off the line but he pulls away on top end. I'm at a loss and need some suggestions. thanks

·
Registered
217 Posts
try to get some v force reeds better throttle response. also i have a 02 800xc with a clutch kit and a 03 pro x 700. my 800 beat my buddies 2003 and another buddies 2004 800. but the kicker is my 700 is bone stock and beat all of them? i didnt believe it either.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took both clutches apart and cleaned them up before I sarted running it this season. last year when I went up against my brothers 600 the sled was almost brand new. I only got 600 miles on it last year. This year I went through the sled to make sure everything was good for the season including cleaning the exhaust valves. The track tension looks good. I put a brand new belt on it before taking it to Tug Hill last week. Also while I was up there, when I ran it on the lake, iI had something very strange happen. I had been running for quite a while before getting to the lake and it seemed to be running pretty good and when I got almost all the way accross the lake it started bogging real bad. I stopped and checked by taking plug wires off 1 at a time that it was only running on 1 cylinder. I pulled the spark plug and found that the electrode was bent up tight against the centerpost electrode. I re-gapped the plug and it started up and ran fine the rest of the day. I know the plugs were gapped right when I changed them before it happened and i didn't hit them during installing them. I looked in at the piston and it looks fine. no signs of any kind of damage. I'm lost and don't know what could have bent the plug.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pro 700 X,
I believe that your 700 beat a 800 if the 800s run like mine. Last night I brought mine up to the dealer and the owners son brought out his brand new XCSP 700 and beat the crap out of my 800. He only had about 20 miles on the 700 so he still has break in gas in it and obviously he hasn't jetted it yet. My 800 has been jetted and doesn't have the extra oil in the gas and I also have reset the oiler to the line on the arm. It was pumping extra oil with the setting from the factory. The factory seems to always set the oiler a little rich. I don't have a problem with putting on some aftermarket parts to get more out of it but I would think that it should be pretty stout right from the factory. I don't want to put all the extra stuff on it just to get it to perform the way it should out of the box. If I can figure out what is wrong with it I will try some of your suggestions. thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
First off, you should never drop that much jetting right off the bat. You just leaned the crap out of that thing which can make it perform worse and lead to engine failure. Your slowing down thing on the lake was probably a heat seize due to the lean condition. your plug electrodes were bent because the pistons swelled so much from the heat that they hit the plugs. Do you have the BPR9ES plugs in it?? They have the projected tip which is what I think your sled takes (or is it the XCR?). If its not supposed to have them and they are in it then that may be a problem too. I would check that. Take your pipes off and check your piston walls through the exhaust ports for scoring. Did you put the power valves in right side up when you reinstalled them? Was the CDI box an update? If not why did you change it? You should have no problems with performance out of the box with that thing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nyhick,
Thanks I'm glad that someone gave me something to think about. My sled is a 2003 XC SP Edge X, no it's not the XCR I kind of wish it was. I changed the CDI box because when I brought it up to the dealer for some warranty work, including the performance problem, the dealer punched the model number into the computer and it flashed up a Polaris service bulletin. on the bulletin it stated that the purpose for the bulletin was for "lack of top speed engine performance has been reported on model year 2003 800 XCSP and SKS models. If your customer is experiencing performance issues, replace the CDI unit and the main jets as follows:" With this bulletin it gave me a new jetting chart from Polaris, so I went by the chart and put the new jets in. According to the chart the jets that I put in are for (0-2000 feet and -10 to +10 F) or (2000-4000 feet and -30 to -10 F). After I ran it the first time accross the lake I did a WOT test and shut it down to check the plugs and when I pulled them they were a nice brown color. I have the champion plugs that polaris recommends RN57YCC. I would like to use NGKs. Are the BPR9ES plugs the direct NGK replacement? When I cleaned the power valves I put them back in the way that they came out, so I guess they are OK as long as they were in right from the factory. If the piston swelled enough to hit the plug and bend it would that leave a mark on the top of the piston? I looked and couldn't see any marks or anything anywhere on top of the pistons.

·
Registered
217 Posts
i had a problem this weekend i had lost a lot of power after 50mph and my diaphram in my ehaust valve ripped. oil would spit a little out of the ehaust valve cap hole check that but you would of probably noticed that

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pro X,
I have checked my exhaust valve diaphrams and they seem to be OK. I on't have any oil leaking either thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a little update. I haven't been able to get much riding in to make the changes that I want to but one thing that I have done is while I was in Vermont this past weekend I ran accross a lake and couldn't get much over 90 MPH by the speedo (maybe 92-93). when I got back to the place I was staying I gutted the air box. The plate that was in the air box seems rather deformed. It is very dished like the vacuum that was created by the engine running sucked it in. I removed the plate and the twin tubes that were in it and ran it again the next day. That has made a big improvement, I got over 100MPH out of it (103-104). That makes me much happier. I also marked the clutches with a marker and found that I'm not using all of the primary. I'm short of using it all by about 3/4 of an inch. My next task is going to be the V-force reeds so I'm not going to change the gearing yet until I find out where I'm at. Also to let anyone who decides to gut thier air box out. This does lean the engine out so you may need to re-jet.
I do have a question for some of the gurus. Are there different air boxes for different size engines? Maybe the airbox on mine ws for a 550 or a 600 instead of my 800? The tubes that were in the air box seem like they are way to small to be feeding those big carbs.

·
Registered
228 Posts
rumor has it that the decompresion, on the motor is robbing the new 800's of top end power, the exhaust valve is supposed to cover the decompression hole when the exhaust valve opens at top end, ive read that it doesn't, alot of company's like hotseat ,slp, htg. will take your cylinders and weld the hole's, and you should get back alot of power. but it will be harder than hell to pull over. as far as clutching you want your sled to run about 7700-7800 rpm's if your runnin higher than that, throw bigger weights in your primary, i believe you have 10-64's in your sled. im runnin D&D's big dog weights in my Pro XR they are 67 grams but the tech @ D&D said they are equal to a 69 gram. im still over reving a lil bit but once i stud it, it should bring me were i want to be. if your over reving, say 8500rpm or so your sleds making almost 110 hp maybee less were it should be making 138 or 9. and they say the big twins like there fuel. mine seems to run better on the warmer day's. a little food for thought

1 - 12 of 12 Posts