Snowmobile Forum banner

2002 z440 chain case questions

2K views 41 replies 4 participants last post by  kccats 
#1 ·
My friend has a z440 that the lower chain case bearing destroyed itself. Took it apart yesterday. Besides putting two new bearings in can you explain how the tensioner works. Has the two plastic riders separated by a spring. There is a plug on the front but there is not adjustment. I’m just not sure if it broke when the bearing let loose and the chain came off. Also on the cover there is a pad mounted on the inside with 4 Phillips screw and something was mounted on that pad that is now broke off. Chain looks good. The gears look good too so my plan is to replace both upper and lower bearing and what ever is on the cover that broke off.

#2 ·
There are several types of adjusters.
I have removed the auto adjuster and just use the bolt and nut.

14, 50 &6 is what you need

#3 ·
The tensioner looks to be in good shape. I think I can flip those teardrop tensions to the other side as I can see some wear on them. I see from your diagram that cover is a vent cover I think the block that was mounted to the cover is broke of on ours. I’m gonna order new upper and lower bearings and try to find a vent cover unless you think what ever was mounted to that small cover isn’t needed but I’ll look for one Prob a bone yard Thanks

#11 ·
Thanks. Yeah I had to chisele the drive bushing out to get the speedo pin out as it was broke below flush. Ok I got my drive shaft bearings in but didn’t see a lock collar on the chain case side but the bearing on that side was completely gone. The new bearing came with a lock collar but are you sure there should be one on the chain case side. There was one on the speedo side and that new bearing came with a lock collar too. Thanks

#20 ·
Depends on the area you are going. I live up here so right now I can tell you the trails in south of Oconto County are closed. Oconto trails are open but beat all to hell same with marinette county. Only real riding areas that are not are Northern up by Hayward and in central wi by the Michigan border.

#22 ·
Might be okay best to contact Rhinelander city before you go. Conditions are getting worse by the day with no snow and people still riding. This whole area up till the border needs a good 6-10 inches again to reform the trail base and fix the worn spots. I know the UP got a decent amount the other day but we didn't get much. "Supposedly" we get 1-3 inches saturday including rhinelander but not putting much faith in it.

#23 ·
One more question. Remember this isn’t my sled but we also put a new 1.25 inch track on it. I eyeballed the tension and we took it out and it’s super doggy from a stop. Can too much tension cause this. I went over to the sled tonight and loosened but didn’t get a chance to ride it. I do have access to a push pull gauge Do you have track tension specs. We pulled the belt of the the engine zips up pretty good with belt off. Owner said it was faster with old track last year. It is a 440 but man it was really slow from a dig. Thanks

#26 ·
Best to pull it apart and if it has buttons change those out and make sure the spring isn't busted & clean up the helix. Over time those buttons wear and the helix collects grime and what not. I pull mine every year to clean it. Normally they are hard to pull apart when off the snowmobile but not hard enough one person can't do it and then it should do a "snap" sound as the spring turns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.