Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a z440 that the lower chain case bearing destroyed itself. Took it apart yesterday. Besides putting two new bearings in can you explain how the tensioner works. Has the two plastic riders separated by a spring. There is a plug on the front but there is not adjustment. I’m just not sure if it broke when the bearing let loose and the chain came off. Also on the cover there is a pad mounted on the inside with 4 Phillips screw and something was mounted on that pad that is now broke off. Chain looks good. The gears look good too so my plan is to replace both upper and lower bearing and what ever is on the cover that broke off.

·
Registered
26,724 Posts
There are several types of adjusters.
I have removed the auto adjuster and just use the bolt and nut.

14, 50 &6 is what you need

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are several types of adjusters.
I have removed the auto adjuster and just use the bolt and nut.

14, 50 &6 is what you need
The tensioner looks to be in good shape. I think I can flip those teardrop tensions to the other side as I can see some wear on them. I see from your diagram that cover is a vent cover I think the block that was mounted to the cover is broke of on ours. I’m gonna order new upper and lower bearings and try to find a vent cover unless you think what ever was mounted to that small cover isn’t needed but I’ll look for one Prob a bone yard Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have the diagram for the bearing and parts that are on the speedometer side of Jack shaft. We found out that bearing is gone too. Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I ordered the wrong bearings first time. I ordered jackshaft and should of ordered driveshaft. I ordered new set of bearings and a new speedo gear drive pin

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. Yeah I had to chisele the drive bushing out to get the speedo pin out as it was broke below flush. Ok I got my drive shaft bearings in but didn’t see a lock collar on the chain case side but the bearing on that side was completely gone. The new bearing came with a lock collar but are you sure there should be one on the chain case side. There was one on the speedo side and that new bearing came with a lock collar too. Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
From the tunnel side are there any seals that go on. There wasn’t any when it came apart. Are the bearings just sealed. I can see the back side of bearing on chain and speedo side from the tunnel

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks. We got that one cool. It’s all back together with a new 1.25 inch track. Thanks again

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Depends on the area you are going. I live up here so right now I can tell you the trails in south of Oconto County are closed. Oconto trails are open but beat all to hell same with marinette county. Only real riding areas that are not are Northern up by Hayward and in central wi by the Michigan border.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts