Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to buy a 2002 Skandic SWT over the phone. It looks brand new with 2600 km on it. When I asked if it had electric start, the guy says it has a battery but he has never used electric start - he has always pulled it. Sounds like he doesn't know, which is odd, but he bought it last year and has since changed his mind. He has never really used it.

Question: Is the battery for EFI or did they all come with an electric start? What am I missing in this conversation?

·
Super Moderator
104 Posts
It's risky. Buying over the phone hardly ever is a good idea. Snowmobiles are one of those things mechanical that needs checked out in person by someone. Even a friend nearby is a better idea than just sight unseen.

Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. I am going to go see it and hopefully bring it home, but it is a 600 km trip to get it - one way. The fact that he is unsure of what he has worries me and whether I should make the trip. If it is not as advertised I will just have to turn around and come home empty. Any thoughts on whether the battery is for EFI? He has had it all serviced and checked out - good compression, etc. Has a new track and I ask why with those low miles and he said he wanted it ready and reliable for what he had planned. I need it for off-trail and deep snow and also worry about getting stuck with the weight of them. Any advice?

·
Registered
182 Posts
That sled does not have EFI. It has a 550 Fan cooled engine with a carb. It came with electric start, so the battery would be for that.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
A lot of times the battery will go bad (bad maintenance) and it will burn out the part of the voltage regulator that charged the battery.
A lot of people would just pull start it from then on and ignore the electric start. As said, 550F was a carbed, non-EFI machine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A lot of times the battery will go bad (bad maintenance) and it will burn out the part of the voltage regulator that charged the battery.
A lot of people would just pull start it from then on and ignore the electric start. As said, 550F was a carbed, non-EFI machine.
Are parts for a 2002 SWT Skandic getting hard to find? Is it getting too old and too expensive to maintain?

·
Super Moderator
17,191 Posts
Some parts will only be available through the used market. Engine parts and a lot of the mechanical parts should be available. Skandics are well built and last a long time. People that have them seldom part with them. The engine is easy to work on and with good maintenance will last a very long time. I had a friend that wanted one to pull a track setter for cross country skiers; he had to drive to the midwest to find one that was decent. He loves his (right up to the point he gets stuck ;) )

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some parts will only be available through the used market. Engine parts and a lot of the mechanical parts should be available. Skandics are well built and last a long time. People that have them seldom part with them. The engine is easy to work on and with good maintenance will last a very long time. I had a friend that wanted one to pull a track setter for cross country skiers; he had to drive to the midwest to find one that was decent. He loves his (right up to the point he gets stuck ;) )
Yes, getting stuck worries me. At 600 lbs you can't just pick it up and turn it around and if you are miles out it could be a problem. I would need this to break trail. Are there lighter utility sleds that would be better?

·
Super Moderator
17,191 Posts
Big thing is to learn the capabilities and the limits of the sled. Skandics and other ultra-wide track sleds are really good at breaking trail. All sleds get stuck. Some get stuck more because of the rider instead of the snowmobile. Experience is your friend. And riding with folks that can help you out when the time comes.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I've seen Skandic WT and SWT do things that no other sled can do. Just last winter my brother pulled me out of some small trees with his. I was very doubtful that he wouldn't just get his sled stuck, but he eased into the throttle and pulled my 2015 Renegade out of the jam with barely a track slip.

Like BC_Dan said, you just need to learn the capabilities and learn from mistakes. Don't take chances when riding alone and carry a shovel with you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts