Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just picked up a 2002 RMK 700 a couple days ago. Big improvement over the 1974 JD 400鈥檚 I鈥檓 used to 馃槅 Anyways, I went out for a ride and bent both my front trailing arms. I believe it was from crossing railroad tracks because I didn鈥檛 hit anything on the ride. Just wondering if the arms on an XC or other models are heavier or would they even fit? Was thinking about rebuilding mine but wanted to check this option out first.

Registered
If it is an Edge setup then any Edge should bolt right on as the XC during those years used a Edge suspension front and rear. Best to go used unless you can find new for a decent price. Their used to be a stronger a-arm for those years ago but haven't seen them anywhere in a long time.

Super Moderator
The Edge RMK part number is not the same as the XC part number. I would stick to the mountain version. New ones are spendy, there are a few places that sell after-market, but they are not as durable. You may be able to find used ones on ebay or from a snowmobile salvage yard...

Registered
Really? Hmm. I do know there was some aftermarket ones at one time that were stronger. I put them on a friends RMK 600 iirc. But they were double the cost of anything else aftermarket and just as expensive as OEM.

Super Moderator
Trailing arms were a problem in the Edge models for me. I have had Wedge, Gen II, and Edge sleds, and the only trailing arms I ever bent were in the Edge chassis. I made the mistake of buying cheap after-market to replace the OEM ones, they weighed about 2/3 as much as a factory. I bent one of those on the second ride out. Sigh.

I recall the more expensive "Stronger than OEM" ones, too.. but you are right, they were as expensive as OEM. Buy once, cry once.

I was glad when Polaris went to A arms like the rest of the world ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I ordered a new set of trailing arms and hopefully they鈥檒l be in tomorrow. I got looking at my sled and I noticed the swaybar has been removed. Could this have anything to do with the bent arms? Just wondering if the shocks weren鈥檛 revalved and they possibly bottomed out so the arms bent? 馃し馃徎鈥嶁檪锔

Super Moderator
probably not. Lots of mountain riders removed the sway bar in the Edge sleds to allow the sled to get up on it's side when sidehilling. The trade off is worse cornering, but there were a lot that thought it was worth the trade. I had 3 Edge sleds and left the sway bar in all of them...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts