Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 ProX 600 and I recently went through the rear suspension; had the shocks rebuilt, all zerks greased..etc. I set the clicker shocks to the stiffest setting. I also set the block in the back of the suspension that controls the stiffness of the springs to the stiffest setting. I rode it for the past couple of weeks and the suspension doesn't spring all the way up. When I get off the sled, I lift the back of the sled and it goes up 3 or 4 inches ... but doesn't stay up. It seams like the springs are very week. I'm a pretty big guy - over 6' and weight 225lbs. Also - If I ride hard, and hit some rough terrain, the sled bottoms out. So my question is do springs actually go bad? Do they weaken? Should I consider buying some stiffer springs? If so - any recommendations? Appreciate any help. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
16,799 Posts
Most sleds are set up for a certain amount of "sag" from the factory. If the sled rebounded all the way to the top, you would have no motion of the shock upward and the ride would be very harsh. They design the shock so that there is some travel in both directions with the rider sitting on it.

Springs can and do go bad over time, and there are also springs made from larger diameter wire if you bottom a lot. The owner's manual has a lot of good info on setting up the rear for best ride quality.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks BC_DAN - When I get on the sled, there isn't much travel downward. And I do bottom out frequently - in fact, I tend to slow down on some terrain to avoid the bottom out - which sucks. I noticed on Polaris Parts, Polaris Snowmobile Parts, Polaris ATV Parts, Polaris Ranger Parts, Polaris Accessories at wholesale prices, they have two different sets of springs for my sled - Firm and Soft. I don't know which set of springs are currently on the sled - did the factory always install the soft ones?? No idea. Anyway - just trying to figure out if the firm set of springs will help or not.

·
Super Moderator
16,799 Posts
The wire dimension is quite a bit bigger in the firm spring, you may be able to compare what you have with a firm one at the dealer (if they have any in stock!)

Firmer springs will definitely help, even replacing existing "firm" springs with new ones can help. All springs go bad eventually, it's sometimes very surprising how much difference new springs and/or getting the shocks rebuilt/replaced can make in ride quality.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts