Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this from a friend. It's been sitting outside (with fuel in the tank) for at least three years. He loaned it to a friend who hit "something." There didn't appear to be any damage, but it lost forward and reverse; the motor ran fine. My friend decided to take it apart, starting with the carbs, airbox, and clutch.

I checked the track, and it will rotate by hand, so it doesn't appear to be hung up. Since it ran, I planned to put it back together and see the issues (if any) for myself. I believe the first step is removing and cleaning the fuel tank. I believe I have to remove the seat first, but I'm not sure.

I'm not familiar with snowmobiles, but I am mechanically inclined. I am looking forward to the journey of resurrecting this sled. Any thoughts on the best way to proceed? I'm hoping to get it successfully running before our snow season ends here in Alaska.

TIA!

2002 Polaris Classic 700 Edge IFS

· Leaves in belly pan, BAD!
347 Posts
@jmartin104 What state are you located in.

I have an 1999 XC700 that I ran a few laps around the house last year.

My understanding of history is that the 1999 twins came out from the factory faster than the triples that year. There were a lot of Polaris "Elite" that were paying extra for the triples and extra speed/bragging rights who were disappointed and switched to other brands in anger.

· Leaves in belly pan, BAD!
347 Posts
I got one with a broken drive chain once also.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@jmartin104 What state are you located in.

I have an 1999 XC700 that I ran a few laps around the house last year.

My understanding of history is that the 1999 twins came out from the factory faster than the triples that year. There were a lot of Polaris "Elite" that were paying extra for the triples and extra speed/bragging rights who were disappointed and switched to other brands in anger.
I'm in Alaska. I'm going to check out the chain this weekend.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: Got it back together, and it ran great in forward. No reverse. Ended up having to adjust the reverse linkage. Super fast, more than I thought. I already got it stuck. Damn, this thing is heavy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts