Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bear with me. At the cabin with limited tools. Forgive my parts terminology and the length. Trying to be clear. Some thinking out loud is happening.

I recently picked up a 2002 Polaris 600 Edge, 1100 miles. Hasn't moved since 2012. Gas tank was empty. Mikuni flat slide carbs. Did a quick disassembly of the carbs. Had them physically in my hand except for the two cables. Very clean inside. Blew some cleaner and air where I could. Had the top plates off revealing the linkage for the throttle valve, very clean. Being impatient I reassembled into the sled. Sled started pretty quick. One problem, fuel coming out left carb top vent that dumps into the airbox.

Ok, time to really disassemble. I've got the carbs off now on the kitchen table, took apart the bottoms. Floats move nice. Very clean. Each carb has 3 jets to remove. The two easy ones came out. One had a small bit of crud that blew out. I cannot get the middle one out on each side as they are recessed very deep and I don't have the correct screwdriver. One youtube video calls these the pilot jets. I did spray carb cleaner, let soak and then blew air in.

On the carb intake side the large cover plate has four screws. Cover plate won't come off. Throttle valve slides in it and prevents the cover from coming off. It opens up about 1/2" on the top. I can see the passage from the vent that's overflowing into the carb body itself. Lots of cleaner sprayed in. Then air.

That's were I'm currently at.

My question. What next? Since the only thing I really found was a partially clogged jet, could that make fuel come out the top vent? I think that clogged jet was on my problem side. Do I really need to get the side cover plate off? It looks like throttle valve linkages need to come apart on top to do so. Can't find any videos to help on this part.

I can post pictures if needed.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Use a very small flat blade screwdriver, some people grind them down to fit that jet. Then use a small piece of wire in each passage way along with GOOD carb cleaner not Walmart garbage. Along with using compressed air or canned air. All it takes is one small piece of garbage and it will mess up the entire carburetor system.

@BC_Dan has taken those apart a few times but it is like any other carburetor must be cleaned top to bottom.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Use a very small flat blade screwdriver, some people grind them down to fit that jet. Then use a small piece of wire in each passage way along with GOOD carb cleaner not Walmart garbage. Along with using compressed air or canned air. All it takes is one small piece of garbage and it will mess up the entire carburetor system.

@BC_Dan has taken those apart a few times but it is like any other carburetor must be cleaned top to bottom.
That's what I figured. I'm going to have to take carb home where I have tools. Thanks.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Definitely clean the whole carb completely. With gas coming out the vent line, I would want to pressure check the float valves. I believe on those the float and valve is all one unit. Check the o ring on the valve, often that is the issue.

Think Snow!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts