Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the stock or standard compression of a 2002 Polaris 550 fan cooled twin engine, needing the right psi or amount of compression to get my sled back to running normal thanks

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Standard compression for any 2 stroke motor is 120 or higher. Typically good compression range is 125-140.

·
Registered
26,045 Posts
Fanners can run a bit lower but should be at least 100lbs
But test with throttle wide open.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quick question. Are the new Polaris 550 fan cooled motors not good. As in, poor engine life, needing early rebuilds?

·
Registered
26,045 Posts
Welcome
About all 2 strokes need to be freshened at between 3500 and 5000 miles.
The cost for a pair of pistons and a complete gasket set is usually under $200 so no big deal at all!
And to do a top end on a fanner will take about 3 hours to do yourself!

·
Super Moderator
18,297 Posts

Read this and be informed. 11 pages of stuff to sort through at Snowest

·
Registered
5 Posts

Read this and be informed. 11 pages of stuff to sort through at Snowest
I read that, very informative. Does anyone know if the problem still exists?
I'm in the market for a late model fan cooled sled, but surely don't want to have this for a problem.

·
Super Moderator
18,297 Posts
It's a shame, too. The sleds before these with the 500 Fuji Fan (488cc) were awesomely reliable. Some of the fanners are fine, but you read the stuff posted. I'm thinking if you are looking at a sled that has a couple seasons and a couple thousand miles on it without issue, it may be fine. It's always a crap shoot, even with new. You pays your money, you takes your chances...

·
Registered
5 Posts
The new Polaris sleds are a different chassis. Bunch of them are 550 fan cooled. I was shocked how many looking at their website.
Does this problem persist now with newer chassis?
I'd seriously consider buying new at this price for an Indy if this problem doesn't exist now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts