Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stock carb boots on my 02 mxz 700 ripped so i upgraded to v force 3 reeds. I have heard and read a in more than one place that no carb adjustment should be needed. However now my sled is loading up when in riding slow through tight trails. Then when i get to the fields and i go to speed up the sled is so loaded up that it will really sputter bad. A couple of times it happened so bad that it fouled plugs on me. What do i need to do? Is it as easy as an adjustment or do i need different jets?

·
Registered
170 Posts
3 questions. was there any motor damage to to bad carb boots before reeds went in? did you also buy those spacers(if not dont) did you by any chance forget to put your vacume lines back up to airbox? i used to put reeds in sleds boyson,v force. on stock sleds i didnt notice much. as far as jets,sometimes yes, sometimes no. anytime u do anything like reeds,pipes,air intakes etc. its imparitive to make sure jetting is correct.

·
Administrator
19,291 Posts
If the sled runs great at wide open and the plugs look good after a wide open run, you could lower the jet needle a notch to make the mid-range leaner. If the plugs are black after a wide open run, you should rejet.

It's interesting that it is loading up. Usually, after-market reeds flow a bit better than stock and will slightly lean up the air/fuel mix. Without other modifications to the engine (such as an after-market pipe and/or engine porting), the reeds only flow as much as the engine can get rid of via the exhaust. Air in = air out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothing has been done to the motor other than the new reeds and i did not install spacers. I talked to the dealer today he said that the v-force 3's shouldnt effect the jetting, which i was told before. He seemed to think that it sounded like the needles are not seating correctly or that one of the floats is sticking. He also said maybe the cable for the oil feed could be an issue. However when i checked the plugs they were wet not black. Unfortunitly my sled is at my friends house and I wont have a chance to get at it until this weekend. I will have to remember to check the vacuum lines. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the same situation with the same sled, 2002 Ski Doo MXZ 700. replaced the carb intake boots and instead of vforce, I used Boyesen. Boyesen came with the instructions to replace the carburetor main jets with next size smaller main jets.

Question: How do I know the current stock size main jet? Is there a main jet size chart out there that I could look up in order to know what to order?

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey i had the same problem, heated carbs? pretty sure turn the litle red valve on the left hand side of the carbs off and that should fix the bog. the heated carbs are for REALLY cold days or in the event of an ice up so for 90% of the time its needless to have coolant circulate through them which will create a "rich" situation. hope this helps!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.