Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ihave a friend with a 2002 Grand Touring that is having track skipping issues.
We first thought it was the chain, so we removed the cover and there was way too much slack in the chain. The gears looked fine so we just tensioned the chain properly and buttoned it up. We then went for about a 10 mile ride and it was acting as if the track was "skipping", ie. not catching on the drive lugs. We checked the tension on the track but couldn't find the correct specs on exactly how to tension it.

What is the process for tensioning the track properly, and what should the slack measurement be?
We did tighten it up a little, but it made no difference at all, the more we ride the worse it seems to get.

·
Registered
170 Posts
track deflection inch and a half w 20lbs. what does that mean? up by front lower wheels if you hung a 20lb weight on one side of track by those wheels you should have aprox inch and a half of slack there. measure both sides and be sure track is trackin proporly. look up at plastic gears up there make sure there ok.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought track deflection should be measured half way between the rear and next wheel forward.
We used 16 pounds because that was all the info we could find. I've seen anywhere from 10-20 pounds and 1 1/4" to just under 2" deflection.

Checked all the drive wheels, they look good, no missing/broken "fingers". Also track is nearly new.

·
Registered
170 Posts
that tension is fine. are your rear ideler bearings good and free? if its a new track is it the proper pitch? is track alingnment off? do cogs look wore? and its definitly track and not drivetrain? just a few more things to check. i hope it helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.