Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 polaris edge x 600 - 1991 artic cat prowler special 440 9000 miles
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this snowmobile and when I first bought it, it would start on 1 short pull. There was very little gas in it and I decided to run it for a little while to see how everything was working, and ever since I did that it has been hard to start (takes 10-15 pulls) I put more gas in it as I thought that was the problem but that didn't help, I did put fuel stabilizer in it, dont know if that would make a difference.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Yes, clean the carbs! Those carbs should be cleaned every year especially with ethanol in the gas. I am willing to bet those carbs are really nasty and green inside. Use a small piece of wire for each of the jets. Take each carb completely apart and clean it top to bottom. Also if that thing has the version of the Liberty with the Valves in it, those need to be cleaned every year as well. Make sure the gaskets are ok as well. Also look and clean the reed cages as that needs to be done as well.

·
Registered
2002 polaris edge x 600 - 1991 artic cat prowler special 440 9000 miles
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, clean the carbs! Those carbs should be cleaned every year especially with ethanol in the gas. I am willing to bet those carbs are really nasty and green inside. Use a small piece of wire for each of the jets. Take each carb completely apart and clean it top to bottom. Also if that thing has the version of the Liberty with the Valves in it, those need to be cleaned every year as well. Make sure the gaskets are ok as well. Also look and clean the reed cages as that needs to be done as well.
I just dont understand how it was right after I ran it for a while the next day this happened how could it be so instant?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
All it takes is a small piece of something to clog a jet. I've had sleds do that exact thing run fine one day and the next run like garbage. Thankfully I have been lucky and it was just the carbs. Also I would do a compression check just to know you are safe there if you can.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I agree that is likely the carbs but I would also check plug wires at the plugs. Unscrew the boots, cut off about 1/4" of wire, screw the boots back on.

Think Snow!

·
Super Moderator
17,302 Posts
Amen to that. And for those of us that don't have carbs... those air horns can get REALLY crusty! It doesn't hurt to look at the intake to see how much fuzz is growing on them. I was amazed. They are a royal pain to get to, but it's sometimes necessary!!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Yep I have cleaned air boxes in the March/April and then go look at them in Nov and see stuff sitting in the airbox all over again. Just a fact of life, plus it doesn't take but 5 mins to take the airbox off, pop the clips and clean it out. Yet people are too lazy to do that, then they wonder why their sled caught on fire,lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts