Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 600 efi apv that my son rode then parked. A few days later it started but backfired and wont restart ( or stay running). I have another 600 efi so I have checked spark(good) switched fuel pumps , ecu and still nothing any ideas?? plugs look dry!? not wet so i put gas into jug and still just poping not starting

·
Registered
25,446 Posts
Have you checked the reeds? The back fire may have ruined them? But it would stil run!
You have spark, have you checked compression @WOT!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
have you checked compression? When my zr 600 lost a cylinder it would run, but was a pain to start and would afterfire/backfire like crazy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 2002 600 efi apv that my son rode then parked. A few days later it started but backfired and wont restart ( or stay running). I have another 600 efi so I have checked spark(good) switched fuel pumps , ecu and still nothing any ideas?? plugs look dry!? not wet so i put gas into jug and still just poping not starting
I just checked the reeds and they are fine I will check compression tomorrow but it almost tore my arm off with a backfire in the middle of a pull so my arm is to sore to keep pullin tonite so back at tomorrow even check the servo motor with a battery supply hooked up and thats good too!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just checked the reeds and they are fine I will check compression tomorrow but it almost tore my arm off with a backfire in the middle of a pull so my arm is to sore to keep pullin tonite so back at tomorrow even check the servo motor with a battery supply hooked up and thats good too!!!
good thing I have another one to ride but i wish this one at this time was elec start!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you checked the reeds? The back fire may have ruined them? But it would stil run!
You have spark, have you checked compression @WOT!
I just did and they are both @ 90 do you think it could be the timing sensor and if so how do I check it?? just fishing but i am a little lost with this one. I have also changed the fuel regulator, coil and still wont stay running

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
also is there a way to check stator with a volt ohm meter that you know of or do you need to bring it to the dealer?

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
Don't run around your problem!.... You NEED a Top End! 90 PSI is inadequate and will cause these problems.

How many miles are on it? Is it the original motor (never rebuilt)?

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
Take both plugs out, throttle fully opened, and pull until the gauge stops rising (likely 5-8 pulls). Engine will read higher when cold, so running pressure will be lower than what you get (unless you can test it when warm).

Many dealers will recommend rebuilds at 110 PSI or 5000 miles. Most engines will still run until 95-100 PSI... but need to be rebuilt.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just did and they are both @ 90 do you think it could be the timing sensor and if so how do I check it?? just fishing but i am a little lost with this one. I have also changed the fuel regulator, coil and still wont stay running
My girlfriend had a 2002 ZL 600 EFI and i did a compression test and got about 116 psi. Sounds like a top end would be a good way to go and if you can do it yourself it is really not that much money and just my 2 cents i would use all OME parts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Take both plugs out, throttle fully opened, and pull until the gauge stops rising (likely 5-8 pulls). Engine will read higher when cold, so running pressure will be lower than what you get (unless you can test it when warm).

Many dealers will recommend rebuilds at 110 PSI or 5000 miles. Most engines will still run until 95-100 PSI... but need to be rebuilt.
JUST DID THAT AND IT READS 120 in both

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My girlfriend had a 2002 ZL 600 EFI and i did a compression test and got about 116 psi. Sounds like a top end would be a good way to go and if you can do it yourself it is really not that much money and just my 2 cents i would use all OME parts
just did it and it turned out 120 psi in both so i dont know where to look

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
well then that's not your problem.... It does have spark, so that's not your problem.... Down to fuel delivery.

How old is the gas?

·
Registered
35 Posts
just did it and it turned out 120 psi in both so i dont know where to look
I don't know if you had tried this or if it is even the reason but have you tried to bypass the throttle safety switch? My t-cat was kinda doing the same thing that your sled is doing and when i bypassed the TSS it worked! Just a idea

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
My tps sensor wires got frayed and shorted out. I got crazy backfires when I tried to start. Check all connections. I have a used stator for sale if you need one from a 02 600efi apv.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts