Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have an 02 600 classic with 120PSI on the clutch side and 95PSI on the other. 7300 miles on the sled. Don't know if it's ever had a top end done. It runs fine. I was just doing a once over on it. What do you think? New top end? Just new rings? Leave it alone?

·
BAHNN Motorsports
189 Posts
with 95/120 I would not run the engine any longer. This reading tells you there is internal damage and must be repaired. The last thing you want is to damage the plating on the cylinder wall which would triple the repair cost

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
tear it down, change the crank seal since your there check e erything over , if it's never been rebuilt consider replacing both pistons,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. Are these engines known for bad crank seals? How would I know if it needs new pistons or to be bored oversize?

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
All engines will wear over time. generally 6000 miles is a good number to use for a rebuild.
The crank seals are made of rubber, and after that much use they will wear out, let air into your engine, lean it out, and cause damage. Even if they are not bad at the time you rebuild the engine, it is good to replace them for cheap insurance that they won't fail in the future. (only a couple bucks for each seal)
You will probably need a new piston on that side. However, if you want you could post some pics up here and we can let you know. A good visual inspection will tell you. If theres gouges in the cylinder walls it will need to be bored oversize. I would say if you can catch your fingernail on them, would be a 4 over bore. smaller scratches would need a 2 over.
My advice would be, once you get her apart, see how bad your cylinders are, get them rebored if necessary, rehoned, and replace both pistons and rings. along with crank seals. and check your crank bearings to be sure they're in good shape.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts