Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted earlier changed the subject is a 2001 Ski-Doo grand touring 600 a good sled? If anyone has any experience with this model please let me know what you think of it . I am real close to buying a mint sled with extras 2400 miles all adult driven seller is firm wants $3600.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The touring sleds are good for just that, touring, groomed trails with a passenger, for the most part touring sleds are bulky and not good for in the woods/going over sno banks

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Man that sounds like a good deal! What type of riding will you be attempting with this sled? As 600SE said its a trail luxury sled, for two people, not a ditch banger! But ive seen people ride 2-up sleds like this easily off trail not in deep stuff but off trail a bit, and unlike 600se said they wil go over snowbanks easily. They are a bit tippy(more then a 1up) especially with 2 people on it!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Im talking about big ass snow banks the plow trucks plow up...You can go off trail a little, just have to be careful...

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
600SE said:
Im talking about big ass snow banks the plow trucks plow up...You can go off trail a little, just have to be careful...
Why cant they? Just because your "707" can doesnt mean this sled cant!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Huh? What the heck r u talkin about???my 707 will beat anything you have in your garage, I mean shed, so don't waste your breath

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Hey buddy i actually have a 3 car garage, and your right it will beat anything in there because i dont have a sled anymore!! Now if you wanted to race anything in there, then my dads got a nice Chevy Vortec V8 5.3 Liter in there! Or we had a Z28 vette!
Now if i had an F7 in there then you wouldnt be talking!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow so much tension

All I really wanted was someone to answer a simple question. Anyone out their currently own a 2001 Ski-Doo grand touring 600 standard and if so how do you like the snowmobile?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Seriously here, a friend of mine, her parents own the 600 and yes the sled is very nice, it is a great comfortable ride and its fast for a touring sled too!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
the only difference in grand touring and the mxz's are in the shocks and the grand touring is a long track and will give ya a smoother ride over the bumps not to mention all the extra's
the price sounds more than reasonable and you should be pleased with your purchase and would not hesitate buying it.
and being a long track it will have some off trail ability you just wont be able to beat the hell out of it like a mxz it is not a ditch banging sled, its a caddy
:cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2000 skidoo 600 GT and love it. It's great on the trails and will plow through a foot of light snow. Beware of getting off the trail because if you get it stuck, and you are alone, you're in big trouble. Other than that they are very dependable, if you maintain them of course. Mine has 8,000 miles and is still as strong as it was when I bought it. If the 2001 has reed technology make sure to your service guy cleans them routinely for best performance.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a 1998 skidoo 500 Grand Touring 2 up, 1999 ski doo 600 mxz, 1998 ski doo 500 Formula and 2002 Artic Cat ZL 550. For riding the trails I ride the Grand Touring solo. The ride is comfortable, the speed is fine and the cornering is close to the other machines. I have been off trail in a foot of snow and had no problem. This fall I studded the track, which is nice for riding on the lake.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Man that sounds like a good deal! What type of riding will you be attempting with this sled? As 600SE said its a trail luxury sled, for two people, not a ditch banger! But ive seen people ride 2-up sleds like this easily off trail not in deep stuff but off trail a bit, and unlike 600se said they wil go over snowbanks easily. They are a bit tippy(more then a 1up) especially with 2 people on it!
I had always thought that a 2 up would be LESS tippy than a 1up sled. Isn't the reason they are called 2 up because they are suitable for 2 people? When I have a passenger on my 1up, I can barely steer and I have to lean far into nearly every turn.

·
Super Moderator
18,403 Posts
This is a pretty old thread, (original post was in 2005.) The person you quoted has not posted on the forum since 2009, so you may not get much of a response from him...

A two-up with two people on it is very tippy, you can't do any kind of side hilling with one unless you really coordinate shifting weight to the uphill side of the sled. It is a bit better on flat ground, but the high center of gravity with two riders still makes them more tippy than a one person sled with one rider. A one person sled with two riders has too much weight on the back, which makes all your weight transfer in the front and rear suspensions all out of whack... but that's not what that sled is meant to do, so it's expected.

my .02 anyway ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'd say the best kind of sled for 2 people is 2 sleds.:)
Failing that I would say that you need to get your passenger really engaged in the riding. Almost exaggerate the leaning into the corner. You can't counter their weight by yourself. My wife got pretty good at it but after a while she was having so much fun we got 2 sleds.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
There are all kinds of other considerations. If you plan to always ride 2 up and plan to be off-trail a lot, I'd seriously look at machines like the Skidoo Expedition. Probably with the 20" track and 900 ACE motor.

While the 20" wide track may seem like it would be hard to get the machine to lean over, I will tell you that it is actually not that difficult. Yes, side-hilling would be difficult to sustain as the machine would want to level itself. I've actually heard people call the Expedition as being tippy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts