Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for any help or suggestions with my lighting issue

While driving at mid power the other day my low beam started to flicker then got really bright and blew. I switched to high beam and within 1 minute, same thing, then the dash and tail light... all blown.

I figured I'd start by changing the voltage regulator. Received the Kimpex part number 225127 and put it in. With new bulbs installed, at idle they appear to be normal brightness with a bit of a flicker. When I increase the RPM the brightness drops a lot.
So I checked the voltage under 3 different scenarios at the headlight plug:
1. with original regulator = 1.8v @ idle AND 1.8v @ increased RPM
2. no regulator connected = 17-18v @ idle AND 30-40v @ increased RPM
3. with new aftermarket regulator = 10-13v @ idle AND 3-4v @ increased RPM.

Definatley thinking the aftermarket regulator is faulty and planning to try another.

Also, the voltage readings are in AC, not DC. I thought the lighting system were DC...

Any thoughts or input?? Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Reverse the yellow wires. Chances are the Kimpex has them backwards. If it has a metal case, make sure the metal case is making good contact with metal of the machine. And that your ground strap between the frame/tunnel and engine is in place.

Everything is AC except the battery charging wire (red), which is pulsating DC.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried reversing the yellow wires, no change.
Regulator is well grounded to body with clean metal surfaces.
Did not locate body to engine ground strap, any pointers where it may be? There’s a small black wire with the battery negative wire attached to the right side of the engine but this small wire goes into a bundle, not sure where it goes. Doesn’t the body to engine ground by the mount plate and bolts?
Another observation I found, when disconnecting the battery negative, the new jobber regulator puts 0V AC to the headlight. With the old regulator, it doesn’t change when battery negative is disconnected, 1.8V AC.
Also, the new jobber regulator is sending 3.5V DC to the battery and the old original regulator is sending 15V DC to the battery.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
What color are the wires on the new regulator?

Most of the time, there was a ground wire that connected to the starter ground and motor. The motor mounts are riding on rubber, so there is not typically a decent ground. Sometimes, on the recoil there is a wire held by one of the bolts and it would go down to the tub brace under the motor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Will have another look for body to engine ground today.

• New regulator has YELLOW, YELLOW, RED, BLACK (black which goes from the regulator connector to the mounting stud)
  • Harness connector on machine has YELLOW, GREEN/YELLOW, BLUE/RED, BLACK

I'd like to somehow confirm which wire should go with which.

I've tried connecting each of the regulator YELLOW wires with the GREEN/YELLOW (same voltage output readings) and have always kept the BLACKS together and the RED with the BLUE/RED

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Uhg, not sure why that particular Skidoo decided to change the color coding:

OEM regulator Skidoo Harness Kimpex Reg
red red red
YL YL YL
GN YL/GN YL
BK BK BK

Just to make sure, take an ohm meter and connect one lead to the BK terminal on the kimpex regulator and then touch each of the other wires with the other test lead. Any of them register zero? If one of the YL leads do, then it must be connected to the YL/GN on the Skidoo harness.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help so far... I just checked the BK to each of the other wires and there was no continuity on any of them... not really sure what this proves but it's done.

Just to be clear on how I tried the kimpex regulator:
config 1:
REGULATOR YL 1 to YL
REGULATOR YL 2 to YL/GR
REGULATOR GR to RD/BL
REGULATOR BK to ground

config 2:
REGULATOR YL 1 to YL/GR
REGULATOR YL 2 to YL
REGULATOR GR to RD/BL
REGULATOR BK to ground

There was no change on the readings.

My next step is to try another kimpex regulator which has been ordered, thinking this one is defective. I am still trying to source a used OEM 515163900 as they are dicontinued.

Schematic Rectangle Line Font Parallel

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
The only real difference between a 3/4 wire regulator from Skidoo and from any other manufacturer is the bolt pattern.

I currently have a newer Arctic Cat regulator on my old 95 Skidoo. I like the Arctic Cat OEM ones because they are more available and they also seem to last longer.

I'll have to dig that machine out and get the part number off the regulator. I think it came from a 2007 M8, but that one didn't have electric start. Just remember holding it and noting that it had a heatsink and it was quite a bit heftier. Even the wires were thicker.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I got another Kimpex regulator from my local shop (PN 01-154-16) which is a different PN than the last Kimpex PN I tried (225127) but it is also compatible with my OEM PN.
I'm getting 15.5v on idle and 18v at higher RPM, which is too high.
Any chance this aftermarket regulator is also faulty? or is there something else going on here? Any other ideas?
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
18 volt with no load would be right, but if you have all the lights on it is too high.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts