Snowmobile Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
18,474 Posts
The advice in this thread was good 8 years ago, and still applies today. There are still a lot of very capable older sleds on the snow and a lot have been tweaked to run better. But the new sleds... the Edge RMK can't hold a candle to the current sleds of any of the manufacturers, the technology is very much improved on all the makes. That new 850 Skidoo is a BEAST, as is the Arctic Cat Alpha. And Polaris is still very competitive with their new 850 as well.

I ride a Polaris because that was the best local dealer when I got my sled. Now the closest dealer for snowmobiles is 85 miles away unless you want a Cat, and that is 180 miles away. And the dealers wonder why we order online...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2001 RMK 800, Ive had no problems with it, its ran great these past 4 years and gotten me any where I wanna go with out a problem

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 01 probably has a little more power as I believe they started putting decompression holes to make them easier to pull start in 03, But Id wait for BC Dan to check your post he knows his Polaris. Im not aware of too many other changes myself. But whichever one you do get pull your ves and make sure your upgraded to Stainless Steel guilotines, the aluminum ones fail and shotgun your motor. Torque arm add-on helps your crank live longer too, and you can also ask if either has been upgraded to the larger sized crank bearing. These are the 2 main issues with either sled I know about.
Hey so I am 15 and I just bought a 01 rmk 800 and she has 2000 km exactly and I am hearing some pretty bad things about them? Is there anything that I should be worried about?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Yep crank issues and so on. Dan can explain more but I wouldn't ever buy one. I hope you are strong as those are fast machines when they run right and can get pretty wild if you are not watching it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The advice in this thread was good 8 years ago, and still applies today. There are still a lot of very capable older sleds on the snow and a lot have been tweaked to run better. But the new sleds... the Edge RMK can't hold a candle to the current sleds of any of the manufacturers, the technology is very much improved on all the makes. That new 850 Skidoo is a BEAST, as is the Arctic Cat Alpha. And Polaris is still very competitive with their new 850 as well.

I ride a Polaris because that was the best local dealer when I got my sled. Now the closest dealer for snowmobiles is 85 miles away unless you want a Cat, and that is 180 miles away. And the dealers wonder why we order online...
Hey, I just bought an 2001 rmk 800 was gonna ask for a few tips on upgrading, I have about 1400 cad budget, honestly thinking about just buying a wider bearing crank, so that all my budget lol

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
And a SLP torque mount that they sell along with replacing the engine mounts also as those take a beating on those engines.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The two things I would do first is the wide bearing and getting the primary balanced. Those have shown to give the most bang for your hard earned bucks!
She's a beaut, only a few dings here and there sat in the barn since the first owner bought a newer model sled, I'm second owner happy with my purchase, it looks all stock except the carbs and pipes

21 - 28 of 28 Posts