Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
PanicAttack
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just picked up a 700 for a pretty decent price, has a lot of upgrades, yadda yadda.

I, however, am completely new to polaris's, have always had low end artic cats before now, and even then not much experience with those... so...

Here's the deal, for lack of a better term, when at low rpm, like say 3-4,000 the engine warbles a little bit. But if you get on it, there is no hiccups or anything, touch the throttle and I'm holding on for dear life (keep in mind, I've always ridden 440's before now, so the 700 is a big step up for me). I've had the sled about 24 hours now and have ridden it just around the place so not hard, when I first opened the hood I noticed some coolant on top of the engine around the seal, and pointed it out to the guy at the dealer, he said he'd just replaced the seals, and since I've gotten it home and ridden it I have not noticed any other leaks around the top seals.

The sled has had the tunnel extended and a 151 track put in, fox shocks all around, handle bar risers, piped, and a few other little things done to it, has about 4,100 miles on it (everyone I talk to say that year of 700's don't have major problems until 7-8,000 miles unless you do something dumb), and I paid $2,000 for it. What do you think? Good deal? I'm an armature rider at best so I don't need an awesome sled, just a good sled.

Thoughts or comments welcome!

·
PanicAttack
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess in my novel up there I forgot to pose my question, that being: what could be some possible causes of the engine warbling?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Keep an eye out for coolant.. If you see more then bring it back and bitch.. If not have fun with the thing.. I think you got a good deal and the 700 is a good powerplant..

JT

·
Registered
303 Posts
I guess in my novel up there I forgot to pose my question, that being: what could be some possible causes of the engine warbling?
LOL.. are you saying its misfiring? I dont know what warbling means.. Some kind of bird? lol

JT

·
Registered
61 Posts
sounds like a pretty good deal!! and with all the extra mods....hang on for dear life:laugh: you can always tape a stick underneath the throttle for a gov.

·
PanicAttack
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I took this sled out for it's maiden voyage under my thumb today on the mountain. went from about 3,000 feet up to about 8,500, seemed like the sled ran better and better the higher I went. Overall I'm happy with it, going from a 94 440 jag to this thing is like night and day. With all the fox shocks it's like riding in a caddy compared to the jag, and it has all the power I need when I need it.

When I say warbling I mean it's like acting like it's trying to cut out a little bit, but never does, and like I said originally, when you hammer down, there is no hesitation in the engine, go from a nice easy ride to terrified in about 1 second flat.

Was riding with a buddy that has the I think the same year but in an 800 RMK and he said his does the same thing as far as the engine skipping, so maybe it's nothing to worry about?

Oh, and after about a 3 1/2 hour ride of working the sled, popped the hood and no coolant leaking anywhere, so maybe the seals just needed to set. But I still check it every time I stop.

·
Super Moderator
18,335 Posts
Next tank of gas, run a half a can of SeaFoam through it and see if that helps clean out the pilot jet circuit. As long as it's not hesitating when you hit the throttle, I wouldn't change much on it. Ride it a while and if it's really annoying, you may have to do some jet changes in the pilot jet or pilot air jet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts