Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, just purchased my first snowmobile, (2001 Polaris RMK 700). I still have not seen it in person but will be picking it up in a few days (it was on consignment at a local dealer).

I have ridden several polaris sleds, just never owned my own or worked on one.

From the dealer:
" It's been through an inspection, looks to be a pretty well cared for clean sled but doesn't look to have been used the last few years. Compression is good on both cylinders, we did note it needs a clutch adjustment on belt deflection,coolant bottle needs to be topped off and the lower right side radius arm is slightly bent. Sled runs good but I would most likely get fresh fuel in it along with a good carb clean and spark plugs. Obviously if you don't like what you see when you come in no hard feelings if you walk away.

Is there anything else I should definitely check for before I hand over my hard earned cash?

·
Registered
152 Posts
get the compression numbers. Should be 125 or better. my 2001 800 non power valve was 145. The 700s were good sleds. upper arm suspension was known to need a weld as well as where it meets the rails there could be egged out holes. Make sure the track is in good condition too

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
get the compression numbers. Should be 125 or better. my 2001 800 non power valve was 145. The 700s were good sleds. upper arm suspension was known to need a weld as well as where it meets the rails there could be egged out holes. Make sure the track is in good condition too
Will get the numbers, track and hyfax looked really good

·
Registered
486 Posts
Compression is more then fine. Don't worry about it. The 700 is a very reliable engine and tbh one of the best Polaris put out. It is up there with the reliability of their 500 l/c, the 440 l/c and their very old 400 l/c.

If I were to go bigger then the 500's and the 440's I have now it would be either the 600 or the 700 and never an 800 from 2001-2010.

There is still some good aftermarket stuff that help with that sled. Nice clutching upgrades with primary/secondary spring and helix.

I would also look at the clutches once you get it home. Clean them up, replace the primary spring depending on the mileage, if it is me anything over 2000 miles would be done automatically. Replace the secondary spring and replace the buttons in it as well, clean up the helix so it shifts smoothly. Grease everything with a synthetic high quality grease say like Mobil Oil Full Synthetic. Replace the carbides on it with a 6" or 8" depending on the amount of studs if it has any, if there is none then a 6" would work fine.

As the dealer said pull the carbs clean them top to bottom including all the passages with a small piece of old wire. Depending on where you live with the elevation you might look at a jet change but with that I would wait till you can do a straight run with it with new plugs and for plugs go with a Iridium if you can as they will last a lot longer then a standard NGK does. I get 3-4 times longer use out of their NGK Iridiums then I do their standard plugs. Yes they cost 8 or 9 bucks a piece but with standard NGK's now costing 3-5 dollars a piece it is worth it to me and ALWAYS carry extra plugs and extra plug caps. Extra plug caps can save your butt out on the trails. I had one break out in the middle of nowhere 125 miles from home and there wasn't any store near us for at least 50 miles, carrying 2 extra caps in each of our sleds saved us.

Also look at replacing the fuel filter, any suspect fuel lines, I would also replace the fuel pump just to be safe and then keep the old one in the sled for a spare, I've had pumps go bad out on the trail as well along with spare line and clamps.

Also carry some extra quart of oil with you if you can somehow. We have at least 2 sleds going out so we split up the tools and parts between both sleds.

I'm sure there is more we can think of. I know you said you have ridden for years but always good to create a list and help from others to remind yourself of the little things.

Good Luck with it and Think SNOW!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Coolhand! Tons of useful info/tips. Picking up the sled on Friday, it has just over 3600mi. I also am picking up a '96 Arctic Cat 440 Friday for my daughter so we can ride together. Should be a blast!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Since you are buying 2 sleds, pick up a snowmobile tow rope as well. We keep one in the 2nd sled and have had to use it a couple times. Last time thankfully it was used at a gas station and we were able to meet up with my mother who brought the sled trailer with her. My sled had the needle/seats go bad on one of the carbs and nothing would get it going. We used that tow rope to pull it with the other sled almost 100 feet towards the trailer saving us our backs and legs.

Both of those sleds have aftermarket clutching options. And if it was me I would go one over stock on both the secondary and primary, and maybe even a helix change. I went from a single angle helix to a quad angle and the difference was night and day throughout the shifting.

So welcome to the spending of money on toys,lol...fun but yet sometimes expensive because you always see that one thing you want to put on your sled...well at least I do,lol.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Great looking sled. Looks like the skis are newer. We have the same one. Only issue we had with ours, was the water pump drive belt /pulley bearing went at 3500 miles. Quick fix and off and running! We have over 4000 miles on it now. Super reliable sled, and goes anywhere. We did a few mods to it. We did add scratchers to it, and that helps on the hard pack and a temp gauge ;-)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great looking sled. Looks like the skis are newer. We have the same one. Only issue we had with ours, was the water pump drive belt /pulley bearing went at 3500 miles. Quick fix and off and running! We have over 4000 miles on it now. Super reliable sled, and goes anywhere. We did a few mods to it. We did add scratchers to it, and that helps on the hard pack and a temp gauge ;-)
Ya mine has about the same mileage, just over 3600 miles.
Can you recommend a set of scratches?

·
Registered
176 Posts
We have "StaCool" scratchers, as they mounted right up on the rail. I am sure others have their favorite, but I like the spring tension on the snow ;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts