Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing a track for my brother on his Pro X and in the process of getting the old track off. I've done a few of these and never had a problem. The problem I am having is that when taking off the skid, I was able to get the rear bolts off fine, the right side off and I cannot seem to get the left side off. It just keeps on spinning. Is there any tricks to get if off? I put the bolt back in on the right side and noticed that they both spin with I turn the left side out. But cannot seem to get the left one out. Any help would be great. I am talking about the front bolts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Try using a impact gun if that is not available just keep doing what you are doing tighten the left side remove the right and vise versa once they are free should come apart easily

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help. As you posted, I was doing exactly what you listed and was able to get the left side bolt off. I tightened the right side and then loosened the left, then I was able to get both of them off.

Tracks off and ready for the new one.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Try putting a nut on one of the bolts that holds the suspension. Then thread that bolt in so it's tight enough to remove the other side. Then you can use two wrenches to remove the other side.
Love that trick, Dan!

I'm going to be pulling my whole skid apart soon, as the grease is all dried up to the point I can't force new grease in any of the fittings. :-(

·
Super Moderator
17,905 Posts
On a thread a while back, someone else had a grease problem, they heated up the cross shaft and the old grease softened enough to get new grease in. If you try that, I would use a heat gun and not a torch, but I'm over my limit for burning up snowmobiles ;)

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
On a thread a while back, someone else had a grease problem, they heated up the cross shaft and the old grease softened enough to get new grease in. If you try that, I would use a heat gun and not a torch, but I'm over my limit for burning up snowmobiles ;)
That's gotta be worth a try!!! Beats taking things apart any day!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts