Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Nope not a chance those ProX 440s had a lot of issue hence why they only lasted a couple years vs that Indy 500 which are rock solid even in the Liberty Engines. Those 440 ProX blew up quite a bit and had a lot of cylinder problems. Ask BearAk about it his family found out as well about that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope not a chance those ProX 440s had a lot of issue hence why they only lasted a couple years vs that Indy 500 which are rock solid even in the Liberty Engines. Those 440 ProX blew up quite a bit and had a lot of cylinder problems. Ask BearAk about it his family found out as well about that.
Yep the more research I do the more I’m thinking I won’t do the trade. I might try and sell the Indy to get a edge 600 with a little more power.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Yeah, some design mistakes on the crankcase and cylinder match up. Very thin wall where they meet up so not much meat to hold the gasket in there. It blew out pretty easy. Fun sled when it runs. Used in a lot of 440 class races, but those folks that did, rebuilt them after every race day. Sold my son's motor to a racer. The chassis got re-purposed.
Oh, and Polaris doesn't sell the piston for it anymore. Had to match up an aftermarket piston and even grind down the skirt just a bit to make it work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, some design mistakes on the crankcase and cylinder match up. Very thin wall where they meet up so not much meat to hold the gasket in there. It blew out pretty easy. Fun sled when it runs. Used in a lot of 440 class races, but those folks that did, rebuilt them after every race day. Sold my son's motor to a racer. The chassis got re-purposed.
Oh, and Polaris doesn't sell the piston for it anymore. Had to match up an aftermarket piston and even grind down the skirt just a bit to make it work.
Yeah doesn’t sound like I’ll be getting a pro x. Maybe an edge 600 though!

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Certain years of the 600 had two different cylinders as well. One was better then the other as one was more prone to cracking. Icr the cylinder base numbers though. But overall the 600 was a very good engine. The cylinder cracking would happen at higher miles when someone wouldn't do a rebuild so the gasket would start to leak over time. So if you end up with one with higher miles do a rebuild job on it just to be safe. It wasn't a very common problem. Only heard abut it 3 or 4 years ago when a local dealer and I talked about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts