Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Polaris 340 Indy. The engine always runs great, but sometimes it just won't move the sled. I saw this post in another discussion and I didn’t see an answer. I am hoping someone can help me since I have seen this with a couple 340’s but no answers. Some observations:

-happens after going uphill, have driven miles and miles on flat trail with no issues
-turn it off and sit for a while, it will drive fine again (albeit feels weak)
-the engine never quits, revs high, but no movement forward
-my 9 and 11 year old daughters ride it so it isn't like it is overloaded

We took it to the shop and they did a general tuneup and tried driving it to replicate the problem, but of course it didn't happen for them. They told me they cleaned the clutches, changed the plugs, and checked the belt. Thank you for any help!

·
Registered
25,365 Posts
Welcome
From what I read it sounds to me like the motor has shifted back and the center to center on the clutches is off!

·
Super Moderator
17,904 Posts
i would also look at the belt. Remove it and scuff the edges with sandpaper to roughen any glaze, that will help the sheaves grip the belt and move the sled. If you have a new spare, pop that on and see. What is the clearance from the belt to the sheave on the primary?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i would also look at the belt. Remove it and scuff the edges with sandpaper to roughen any glaze, that will help the sheaves grip the belt and move the sled. If you have a new spare, pop that on and see. What is the clearance from the belt to the sheave on the primary?
Thank you, I will check that. I did out a new belt in last year and it was doing the same thing. I will check the clearance too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts