Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a nice but neglected 2001 Indy 500 (not the classic). When I opened the air box it was completely empty of any foam. The set up looks weird. Can’t seem to find aftermarket air filters. Any ideas? See pics

·
Registered
972 Posts
Okay there is no foam in the bottom of it, up top in the air box you will find a large square piece like you are holding that part number is 5811979. For the air filter that goes on top of the air box to make sure nothing gets into it like dirt and contaminants that part number is 5811882. Now I will say that for the second number I posted you can find those on eBay for much cheaper, the big square one though most likely will be a Polaris Dealer item. Also do NOT go and get pods for it instead, pods only bring in hot air from inside the hood. Where as the airbox brings it in cold air from the outside which is what you want.

Also Polaris Browse is your friend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the filter foam is discontinued...5811979 is called “Foam Airbox plate” (#6 in fische pic below). Searched everywhere for this part. Called Polaris parts dealer and said discontinued (but he seemed kinda clueless). Wondering if anyone with an 01 Indy 500 has the same issue? Seems like an odd ball design for this year. Do you know of a close fit foam model substitute? Does need to cover entire surface area of plate? Has anyone carved something from foam as a DIY? Thanks!

·
Registered
972 Posts
You didn't look everywhere...Found it in 2 secs on eBay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts