Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opinions on this sled? Did 2000's have powervalves? I would think this sled would be more responsive then my previous zl500.. Found a pretty good deal on this zr. 1200 miles, for $1850 obo. The guy doesnt no much about sleds, and has noone to ride with, so hes selling... Should I snatch it up?

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Yea. No powevalves. But still snappy. Efi is wonderful! Low miles is a huge plus!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'd say go for it. If it had average miles my though was that is an average price but with those low miles it must be just like new. You will get a bunch of years out of it since it's just broken in. Don't know about the 500 but my ZR 600 EFI is respectable for an old school sled. The funny thing is that lining up my ZR 600 EFI to my Ski Doo 583 Grand Touring carb over a lake, they are actually close in most respects. The real difference is throttle response and usability compared to non efi. The ZL's regardless of year without powervalves to my recollection should have the same hp. I wouldn't buy another sled without EFI after currently owning one efi and one with carbs. The bottom line on ZR's and ZL's is that even thought you might have the old sled in your group or at the bar or whatever, they are still well respected because they were such a good sled. Also, no reverse is a deal killer for me even if the sled was almost free. With our deep snow in Minnesota this year, reverse has been a god send when I sled alone and I'm 20 miles in the middle of nowhere. A couple of occassions, I think I would have froze to death if I tried to walk for help.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it doesnt sell by wednesday, im gonna pick it up.. I dont think it has reverse, but I didnt ask.. If I find it a little sluggish, I do have a Blackmagic clutch kit I can throw on it

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
I added reverse to mine. Soo much better! I got the case, linkage, and lower jack shaft for 150 from a zl600. I dont mind the extra weight, because the convience is super nice!!

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive never owned a sled with reverse, I dont want to spoil myself because then itll become a necasity lol

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
You could always just tow a Snowmobile Dolly behind you everywhere you go:)

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol... when my uncle bought his first sled with reverse, he kept forgeting he had it, and would get off his sled whenever he needed to turn it around lol

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
sometimes it's just easier to get off and turn it a little bit anyway... But you got me thinking...

Maybe we can design something that bolts on to the bottom of the tunnel (in the middle of the sled) and springs up with wheels to lift the sled and then you can easily turn the sled by hand?....

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now thats an idea!

·
Registered
286 Posts
A couple seasons back the reverse lever (which is designed to break) on my wife's heavy Grand Touring Ski Doo broke and it was a huge pain to ride without it while the part was being shipped. Man that 2-up is a heavy beast to move.

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
yea, our touring didn't ever have reverse.... That was such a pain. When it blew the motor and we had to push it up the tilt trailer, my dad actually hurt his back. That was the whole reason we bought newer sleds.... Needless to say, we also always carry a come-along with us in the van when trailering/riding.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got another trade offer... a 2002 snopro 440 with a 700 motor in it, and its in the firecat chassis, and was built by speedwerx... guy kinda sounded like a douche bag tho, I asked him if he could give me an estimate on the mileage, and hes like "dude who cares its so clean, why does it matter"?

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Im not sure, the guy just said it was built by speedwerx.. I talked to the guy with the zr 500 again, and as long as my sled sellls tmw or wednesday, im gonna pick it up thursday or friday

1 - 20 of 24 Posts