Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove a 2000 ZL 500 EFI today. Started first pull, engaged around 4900-5000 rpm's. Ran pretty well, except I was a little dissapointed when I got on an open road and it only wound up to about 8200 rpm's. I've tested other similar sleds and they ran up around 8800-9000 rpm's. None of the previous sleds I tested though were EFI. Does the EFI not run quite as fast as the carbed model, or is there something wrong I should be questioning? Also, what do you guys think about the '00 ZL 500 EFI? It's also studded (96 studs). Would that slow it down that much? It felt like it was lacking some power compared to other sled I've ridden.

·
710 Posts
clolson said:
I test drove a 2000 ZL 500 EFI today. Started first pull, engaged around 4900-5000 rpm's. Ran pretty well, except I was a little dissapointed when I got on an open road and it only wound up to about 8200 rpm's. I've tested other similar sleds and they ran up around 8800-9000 rpm's. None of the previous sleds I tested though were EFI. Does the EFI not run quite as fast as the carbed model, or is there something wrong I should be questioning? Also, what do you guys think about the '00 ZL 500 EFI? It's also studded (96 studs). Would that slow it down that much? It felt like it was lacking some power compared to other sled I've ridden.
8800-9000 is way to high for that engine. The correct rpm's should be between 8200-8400 max.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure it shouldn't go any higher? That 500 mill should run similar to the 440 race motor and the 440's wind right up to about 8800. My uncle has a stock carbed 2000 ZL 500 that hits 9000 all day every day and runs great. Awesome sled to ride. Hmmm, well, now I don't seem so leary about buying this sled then. Before I thought there might be a clutching problem, but if it's not supposed to hit 8800+ then I would guess there isn't.

·
Registered
170 Posts
clolson said:
Are you sure it shouldn't go any higher? That 500 mill should run similar to the 440 race motor and the 440's wind right up to about 8800. My uncle has a stock carbed 2000 ZL 500 that hits 9000 all day every day and runs great. Awesome sled to ride. Hmmm, well, now I don't seem so leary about buying this sled then. Before I thought there might be a clutching problem, but if it's not supposed to hit 8800+ then I would guess there isn't.
Just because it hits 9000 rpms and runs well doesn't mean it runs great. If the sled makes its MAX HP at 82-8400 rpm - why run it higher? More wear on the engine and less HP. Sounds like a no brainer to me...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True, that makes sense, but the 500 that does hit 9000 is making the hp in that higher range. You can feel it in the way pulls. The one I test drove didn't feel like it had all the power that it should, and it would only go to 8200 or so. I think this sled is supposed to run about 400 rpm's higher than it did, but I wasn't sure so I'm lookin for someone that knows these Cat EFI sleds and knows how they compare to a carbed model.

·
710 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that it sounds like it's making the power.

This is from D&D racing
"ZR/ZL 500 Carb Single Power Pipe
ID: 101-5090

This 500 Engine is one of the strongest in its class. Adding a D&D Power single pipe will take you to the next level into the 600 power class. It produces a strong 104hp @ 8400 rpm. This single pipe turns out so good that we couldn't better it with a set of twins.

2000 ZR500, ZR600 Carb Twin Pipes Loud
ID: 102-6001L

These Twin pipes for the ZR600 run @ 8200 to 8400 RPMs making for impressive torque and HP gain right from the bottom to the top end. When running these pipes you should install the D&D Power Breather for maximum power increase. "

1 - 6 of 6 Posts