Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bout a 2000 XC 700 Deluxe 45yr aniv today. Absolutely beautiful no cracks in the hood no tears in the seat, extended to a 136 very fast and fun. Put on 10 miles playing in some drifts and i love it. Has 8xxx on chassis and 3xxx on fully rebuilt engine. Only problem i’ve found is the speedo doesn’t show mph but still counts mile, and i plan to fix that come spring. Is there any preventative maintenance I should go through on the sled before i take it on a 4 day trip at the end of the month?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Full carb cleaning, make sure floats are set correctly, replace the needle/seats if you really want to do it right since who knows when the last time that was done. Replace the Hyfax with Graphite Hyfax they last longer and slide better since they have Teflon in them. IF it has the VES Valves system on it clean that entire system. I would replace the oil depending on when the last time it was ridden, and make sure you go to VES Gold Synthetic or IMHO the best in AMSOIL Synthetic. I would also grease everything on the sled with a low temp Synthetic grease like something from Mobil Oil or similar. Make sure that the shocks are not in need of a rebuild with a recharge as after so many miles that needs to be done.

I would also pull the secondary clutch and replace the buttons in it. I would replace the Primary and Secondary springs as those also go bad after so much time and if you do that that would be the time to upgrade them to something better along with the helix if you so decide. I would replace the fuel pump for the heck of it as well with new, check and/or replace all the fuel lines and definitely replace the fuel filter as well. Switch over to a NGK Iridium plug if you can as the Polaris sleds really like them and I get at least 3 times the miles out of them then I do standard NGK plugs on all 3 of my Polaris machines. Replace the carbides with 8" carbides depending on or IF you have 144 or more studs, if the studs are only 96 or NO studs at all then 6" carbides work best.

Make sure all the bogie wheel bearings are ok as well and replace any that look suspicious. I would also replace the chaincase gear oil as well, use a Synthetic like Klotz or AMSOIL both work great, adjust he chain while you are in there as well to spec. I also replace the coolant radiator caps every few seasons as well as the cost isn't much and over time they can go bad. Double check the steering on it as well just a in case kinda thing. Adjust the track suspension so it is correct with the right amount of tension on it. Make sure the limiter belt is ok and no issues there.

Also make sure the clutch belt deflection is ok as well when you are working on the clutches. Make sure you have a new or quality belt on it and for a spare. I personally use double cog belts and with it being a 700 I would definitely use them on it with the HP it has.

Basically a full go over of the sled top to bottom. Yeah I know it is a lot but better safe then sorry and if you have time before the trip then try to do as much as you can. I can't think of anything else, maybe Dan or someone else will think of something that I missed!

·
Super Moderator
16,970 Posts
That engine shouldn't have VES, the big block didn't get VES until the Edge models. Factory fuel pumps are spendy, (about $120 bucks). I would definitely search for a good quality rebuild kit. The flip side of that is the factory pumps last a very long time, so you may be ok with it as is.

Coolhand has a good list, but one thing often missed on the big block Liberty twins is the belt that runs the oil pump and water pump. It is under the recoil starter and a pain to get to. If that fails on your ride, you lose both oil injection and coolant flow, so that will leave you dead in the water. If that belt has not been replaced in a few years, you should get one in there. It is also a spendy little sucker for how big it is.

Have fun on the trip!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts