Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 vmax500 that is overheating been to 2 dealers with no help. Both heat exchangers are warm,water is circulating good. Pump removed and impeller checked.New pump belt installed.It still pushes the water into the overflow.Any ideas?:dunno:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Are you rinning 100% antifreeze or a mix. 100% can tend to overheat a sled. I had a Venture 600 that i had to run at about a 60% mix. Also make sure that you drive into some powder often. If you stay on the hard pack you are not getting enough snow on the front heat exchanger.

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
Maybe some gunk plugging the lines or exchangers?..... I haven't heard of it happening on sleds, but I know on cars you have to flush the system once in a while and they can get awful dirty.... That's all I can think of.

Are you sure there isn't any air in the system too?

·
Registered
27 Posts
May be a bit of a reach, but check your front heat exchanger. Some guys have thrown picks into it, and instead of replacing it, they welded it. If it was welded wrong, you could only be using half of it. I dont know if you are paying for the sins of a previous owner

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought of air too,I bled,techs at dealer bled NO AIR.Sled ran good up to last trip last year.The snow was poor so we thought that was the problem.Went to the UP last week had good snow got 4 miles and started overheating. Dealer even wants me to let him know if I find the problem! The only thing not changed is pressure cap.THEN the snow left

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Changed the cap in my 89 Camaro and lowered the temp by 15 degrees. Definitely worth a shot!

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
does it take a bit for the overheat situation to occur? runs fine, cools fine, than after a certain amount of time/miles begins to heat? look into the condition of the drive gear for the water pump.

when the engine is cool, the gear will grab and as the engine heats up, the brass will expand and slip. this is an uncommon issue but seems to be occurring more frequently as more miles are packed on the 2 strokes. i would put money on it being the root of your problem.

·
Registered
102 Posts
May be a bit of a reach, but check your front heat exchanger. Some guys have thrown picks into it, and instead of replacing it, they welded it. If it was welded wrong, you could only be using half of it. I dont know if you are paying for the sins of a previous owner
Good call, I have seen a couple that threw a pick and the owners bypassed the front heat exchanger with a pipe and hose causing an overheat situation ( I was a Yamaha Tech for 8 years).

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a 2000 vmax500 that is overheating been to 2 dealers with no help. Both heat exchangers are warm,water is circulating good. Pump removed and impeller checked.New pump belt installed.It still pushes the water into the overflow.Any ideas?:dunno:
Pushing the water into the overflow sounds like pressure is getting into the cooling system that shouldn't be there. Possible Crack in head or blown gasket? Might be time for a leakdown test. Pull the lines at the pump and pressurize and see if it free flows out the other line to check for obstruction. If its free flowing,and the front heat exchanger is good get a new cap and try that. If all things fail, leakdown test it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts