Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've got a 2000 Touring 600 that has been overheating. It's one of the sleds we keep at the cabin and the problem happened the last couple times that someone used it.

I started it up and let it idle for about 20 minutes today to see if I could get it to heat up, and it did. It all appears to be coming out the overflow, no leaking elsewhere.

I'm thinking either bad cap or waterpump, but the cap seems OK. Is there any external way you can tell if the waterpump is working?

Or any other possibilities that would cause an overheat both at idle or when driving.

·
ride till your broke
2,560 Posts
i know that my hot light starts flashing after 15min
of idleing. found that out digging out a new rush.:D
but 20min of idle on a sled without a fan and rad
i think most would overheat?? just an oppinion??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dunno, its got a radiator in front of the track and its about 5 degrees outside. Kind of figured that it would run forever like that.

One of my current testing issues is that the sled is registered in WI, I have it in my garage in MN with no MN permit and all the helmets are in WI too.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Could be water pump related. If you are not circulating the fluid, it will overheat and purge. Does you sled have a heat exchanger under the rear of the sled? Mine does, but I'm not sure yours does. It's in the back of the sled, above the track.

If you have this, feel it. It should get warm as the thermostat opens and passes the fluid to the exchanger. If it stays cold and you start to overheat, it's either your thermostat or waterpump belt. If your waterpump belt is broken, do not run the sled. It also pumps the 2 cycle oil. You'll lean the engine out without 2 cycle oil injection. I'm basing this on a 2004 Classic Edge Touring 800 that had a similar problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could be water pump related. If you are not circulating the fluid, it will overheat and purge. Does you sled have a heat exchanger under the rear of the sled? Mine does, but I'm not sure yours does. It's in the back of the sled, above the track.

If you have this, feel it. It should get warm as the thermostat opens and passes the fluid to the exchanger. If it stays cold and you start to overheat, it's either your thermostat or waterpump belt. If your waterpump belt is broken, do not run the sled. It also pumps the 2 cycle oil. You'll lean the engine out without 2 cycle oil injection. I'm basing this on a 2004 Classic Edge Touring 800 that had a similar problem.
Heat exchangers under both floorboards and a radiator in front of the track. Thermostat seemed fine when I took it out. Pretty sure that the waterpump and oil pump are shaft driven off the crank on mine, not a belt. It smokes enough that I'm sure its geting oil ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts