Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Polaris RMK Indy 800
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty new to the snowmobile world, I picked up a 2000 Polaris RMK 800 for this season. I’m pretty familiar with JetSki and other Style engines and so I went over just about everything maintenance wise, except for flushing the coolant. I’ve heard it’s not good to have any air built up in the system? Also, I don’t see a drain plug anywhere so not sure how to approach that. Everything else checks out as far as I know. Thanks for any and all input!!
Kado

·
Super Moderator
17,387 Posts
How I do it... I crack the bleed screw on the thermostat and use a small shop vac and suck all that I can out of the overflow bottle. Once that is done, I detach one of the upper hoses from the engine and suck all I can out of both sides. That pretty much gets all the coolant. If you flush with water prior to refill, make sure to repeat before adding coolant to get as much water out as possible so that the mix is not too diluted. Don't go less than 50/50, 60/40 may be better depending on where you are.

When refilling, you want to have the front of the sled higher than the rear heat exchanger. A tilting trailer works great, as will a ramp into a non-tilting trailer. I have used milk crates under the skis in a pinch, but the front of that 800 will be pretty heavy.

Fill as much as you can, then idle the sled with the radiator cap off. That will allow any air to evacuate from the system out the overflow. After 5 minutes of idling, you should begin to feel heat in the rear heat exchanger. If not, there may be an air bubble. If the front is not quite higher, sit on the tunnel. That should lower the back enough to get the air out of the system.

One thing that is often forgotten on the big block Liberty engines is the small belt that drives the water pump and oil pump. It lives under the recoil housing, so the housing has to be removed to check/replace it. If it's not been replaced in a while, it's not a bad thing to do. If the belt fails, you lose oil and cooling and that is definitely not what you need!

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok awesome, thank you so much! I’ll be doing that this weekend. Also, I do have a service manual and a lot of the book has slightly different information. For instance when looking thru the coolant functions it had 2 types listed. One said if you have a “recovery coolant system” and the other being a “surge tank coolant system” I’ve tried looking up my model of sled and can’t find definitive information pertaining to my sled. The model number for mine is S00SR8BSA so I’m not quite sure about that. But thank you so much for your time and solid gold info!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh wow I had no idea they had all those diagrams online!!! I’ve been looking for things like that for months! So helpful thank you very much! Now sisnce this ski is new to me and winter is almost here is there anything I can do before riding? So far I’ve got new gas in it, new plugs, clean are filter, changed gear case oil, changed 2stroke oil. I think that’s it but if there is anything else I could or should do Before riding?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more thing I haven’t added any 2 stroke oil yet, but got all the oil that was in the tank out. I have no idea what they ran I’m it but I was going to go with the Polaris blue full synthetic. Is that ok to do? I figure if they ran syn. Then that’s what I’ll put in. If not then it’s getting switched over. I assume that’s generally ok?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
For that engine I would run Full Synthetic. Go with AMSOIL or Polaris VES Gold. If it has an Liberty engine in it with or without the valves you have to run full Synthetic. Polaris Blue is only semi-synthetic and will not run right in those engines. Some people do it in the non valve engines and those who have ended up running like garbage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Ok thank you for your input. This is what I got, it’s VES full synthetic but it doesn’t say “gold”. I’m assuming this is suitable? Or is there anything else I should use? Thank you

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Nope that is fine for your engine. I prefer AMSOIL in everything because I can get it cheaper then Polaris VES and the tests show its better then anything out there in very cold weather but that stuff also I have used in the past with no issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome! Man thank you guys, you’ve been a big help. Can’t wait for the snow to hit!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope that is fine for your engine. I prefer AMSOIL in everything because I can get it cheaper then Polaris VES and the tests show its better then anything out there in very cold weather but that stuff also I have used in the past with no issues.
ok I lied! One more question lol. What’s the best coolant to run in these? Obviously the Polaris brand but holy !&#* it’s so expensive! I say that and just spent $13.99 a qt of 2 stroke oil but! Trying to find an inbetween? Anyway, any input much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Green coolant with a mixture of 60% coolant and 40% water is what Polaris uses from factory on those sleds. It should have been green coming out, do not use universal coolant in it. I keep a quart of coolant with me at all times along with a quart of oil and a ton of tools between 2 sleds. Also I would replace the water pump belt as well it is underneath the recoil assembly and is maybe 10 bucks and is a worth replacing after 20 years.

·
Super Moderator
17,387 Posts
the last big block water/oil pump belt I bought was closer to 60 bucks, those things are SPENDY.

And any green fluid you use in your car will work in the sled, I use Prestone. I run 50/50 but 60/40 can be a better choice if you are in really cold areas. 50/50 protects to -34 F, if it's that cold, you will find me in next to the fire drinking a hot cocoa ;)

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I buy mine aftermarket and have never spent more then 10 bucks. Even when I had the Ultra 680 it was 10 bucks. Yeah it is a cogged belt so it tends to be a bit more but gates makes them as do others. Take the stock number of 5411098 or 2201436 and cross it. That one below is 40 bucks US from Canada.

And it is a 5MR Cog belt and those can be had all over the place at auto parts stores :). You just take it in and have them match it up for the length, number of cogs in it and you are g2g

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

24.99 US :)

5MR-450-09 or 450-5MGT-09 which is the upgraded part number

Even better 13.99 :)

See there is usually an aftermarket belt :) and reviews have it listed as Polaris replacement on the 700/800 as well

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It’s been a one owner sled since it was bought in nov 1999. It’s pretty clean and when I picked it up it had recently been gone thru. New track, carbides on the skis and a tune up, so I can only assume it was shop maintenanced, but it’s been sitting almost a year. The belt is well over tolerance thickness and looks pretty decent. There is an extra belt, that one looks like it’s been an extra since it was new and hasn’t been used for 20 yrs lol doesn’t look that good. So I’ll for sure get Another.

as well, I won’t be anywhere near -35°, I’m in the north west and in the mountains we get a lot of snow without the constant northern Alaskan beating weather. All in all it’s not too bad. many thank you’s! So much easier than researching!.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I am talking about the belt for the water pump though not the clutches. I will say this 60-40 is what they came with stock. Also BearAk is in Alaska idk if he could help you out with riding and what not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am talking about the belt for the water pump though not the clutches. I will say this 60-40 is what they came with stock. Also BearAk is in Alaska idk if he could help you out with riding and what not.
Ok I went thru it and the belt looked pretty good. I’m forsure goin to get another just in case. Here’s a pic of how it looked...

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

1 - 20 of 24 Posts