Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Trevor
4,135 Posts
Well that equals out to around 4600 miles, and yes, the 500 Polaris is a VERY reliable and well powered engine. I have a 500 Liberty and it's been super reliable this season. It sat outside covered for 9 days since we had no snow and it started right up in 2 pulls. They aren't known for any major problems and I've seen plenty go up to 10 thousand miles with no issues.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I second that, have had my 2000 XC 500 for 5 years now, never gave me a bit of trouble, always starts no matter what, or how long it sits. with the M10 under it , i love it even more !! wont do 100 mph, but plenty fast for trails !!

·
simy03
74 Posts
It is a good beginner sled, I bough my wife a 2000 XCSP 500, and she had never driven sled before she met me. Like Yamahass440 said, the engines are excellent. I have had mine for 6 years, and have never touched the motor except for routine maintenance. As far as speed, it will get up to 90+ miles an hour, and is an excellent trail machine, you won't be disappointed!

·
simy03
74 Posts
WL-sorry for being way off, I can't afford all the fancy gadgets that you obviously have, I'm just going by the speedo, anyways, back to the thread at hand, ntwizard, you won't be disappointed by this sled if you decide to purchase it!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I agree, you wont be sorry for buying that sled, and on a hard packed river, i was too scared to look long, but im sure i saw almost 92 on mine, this is under almost perfect conditions, temp, snow cover, etc. 85 plus is easy, and is plenty fast and scary !!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, bought the sled tonight. Clutch has just been rebuilt, new belt, all new bearings and sliders, 1" riser, no dents in belly pan and no cracks in hood. Motor is strong, is the liberty motor and new jack shaft bearings. Idles great and no change in idle with carb cleaner spray on crank seal. Brand new carbides a week ago, has plastic skies and one small tear at a seam in the seat. M10 suspension with new fox shocks. Motor has 4500 miles on it. Bought it for $2000 with a 2011 trail pass that costs 250.00 here in Ontario Canada. Decent deal?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The previous owner used a 2 stroke oil from Shell. I have Amsoil HP injector synthetic and would like to use it. Can i pour into oil tank with out draining the Shell oil first? Can they mix at first until the Shell oil is used up and only Amsoil remaining. Any advice appreciated. Thx

·
Trevor
4,135 Posts
I'm GPS'ing my xc500 tonight. I bet it will do 90. The VES version like mine is rated at 105HP. Not too bad IMO!!

·
simy03
74 Posts
YamahaSS440-

let me know how fast it goes! I know mine will do 90+!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.