Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2000 Polaris xc sp 600,What should the idle be? It idles between 600 -1000 depending on conditions.Seems awful low as throttle response a bit sluggish for about 1 to 2 secs then its fine.Its like the idle is so low it takes that 1 or 2 seconds to come to life.Idle is low enough so headlight is very very dim,spark plugs look great after riding 15 miles nice light chocolaty brown.Starts great runs great just that low idle concerns me ,PLEASE CORRECT ME if Im wrong but shouldnt it be around 1500?
Thanks

If it should be higher should I adjust the throttle cables or you think its deeper then just that??

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Is it carbureted? If so, turn the large screw on the side of each carb a quarter turn in at a time until the idle is where it's supposed to be. If you turn one carb's screw in, turn the other carb the same amount to keep them sync'd.

·
Registered
149 Posts
i have the same sled a 2000 600 xcsp and mine idles between 1500 and 2000 and it is snappy as all heck but mine is also clutched so i dont know if that makes a difference

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It is carbureted.Would 1500 - 2000 be appropriate??
By the way they are Keihin pwk 39 carbs

Thanks Small engineguyand all others who posted.
What are them two screws called exactly so I know what Im adjusting ( idle screws I assume)??I assume they raise the slide rather than doing it by cable correct??.

·
I gotta have more Cowbell
328 Posts
I have the same sled, only the 500 version, and it has flat slide carbs. There is only one central idle screw which adjusts both at the same time. There are smaller brass screws on the lower portions of each carb, but you should not mess with those unless you know what you are doing. They are for the idle mixture. Mine idles around 1700, but I like a high idle - keeps it from loading up if you know what I mean.

Where in Vermont do you live?

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Woodmin said:
It is carbureted.Would 1500 - 2000 be appropriate??
By the way they are Keihin pwk 39 carbs

Thanks Small engineguyand all others who posted.
What are them two screws called exactly so I know what Im adjusting ( idle screws I assume)??I assume they raise the slide rather than doing it by cable correct??.
If not like he said above (one screw for both) then what you said is correct. Don't adjust the cables. Then the carbs will come out of sync.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you lift the rear of the sled with a track stand or a block of wood, the idle is best to be enough to inch the track along. This gets you to the point where the belt is just about engaged but is not being burned.

After making an adjustment to the idle screws I like to give the throttle a blip to see where the idle will end up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I looked this up in the polaris specs book they call for idle to be between 1200 and 1400 rpms.I have a 700 xc and it has the idle adjustment between the carbs with one single screw.;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts