Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working on my dad 2000 polaris indy 700 rmk and the factory fuel pump was bad so I put a 6vDC fuel pump I had laying around it works but do I need to do something with the oil system that is connected to the factory one?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Wait...those come with a manual fuel pump not an electric. You need to use a manual fuel pump like the one you took out of it. Also no oil system connects to the fuel pump

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
When you say 6vDC that tells me electric not manual.

And if its like this one below it will not work correctly. You need the same fuel pump that you took out that is howw the system is designed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok then why do all the other forums on this site say that as long as I have a regulator, a relay and a battery I will be fine?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
What other forums on this site? The old pump should have said "Walbro" on it. Which should be this one below. And yeah you might get away with that but why go through all that work when you can plug and play? Not too mention KNOW that it is the correct one that puts out the correct amount of pressure and gallons per hour to that engine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

This is the forum idk how to link it but I dont have the money to get a new one but I had the other stuff laying around that I could use.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
He was also putting a turbo on it. You are better off in the long run then saving up and buying the correct pump. As I said there is no oil system connected to the fuel pump. The oil system runs from the oil tank to the oil pump and then into the engine itself. Been that way for close to 35-40 years now depending on the maker. Plus that fuel pump has to a line coming from the tank, to the fuel pump then out to both carbs AND a line going to the crankcase as well. That fuel pump you have just won't work. My apologies for being blunt and what not. Sounds like you are learning so if it was me..I would take that out, either replace the fuel pump OR what a lot of guys here do and I don't...I replace then rebuild...you can find rebuild kits for those pumps..try a rebuild kit for 15 bucks and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Yep as I said in the message above, buy a rebuild kit for it and rebuild it. I am not a fan but lots of guys here have luck with that. Lemme see if I can find it for you.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Also just a fyi those pumps were used on a lot of years. There is cheaper used ones out there as well. So I am going to link the entire eBay search I did and it will show rebuild kits and used pumps. Good luck and once again my apologies for being blunt. Ignore the in tank fuel pumps. Also I would check the fuel tank pickup line as well inside the tank and make sure it is intact. Those are known to fall apart over time. If you have to replace it make sure you get the small filter that will be in the tank as well put back on the new Tygon line as it has to be Tygon as that is the only stuff that won't easily fall apart in gasoline.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I have a parts snowmobile with the same pump but I was hesitant because its a indy 400

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
The Indy 400 had a different pump. That had a Mikuni Pump. I had a Indy 400 and it uses the Mikuni DF52-73 vs the Walbro yours uses.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well the guy we got it from might have gotten the wrong pump for it then because it has the walbro pump

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And I was thinking the snowmobile has a small oil leak could that cause the pump not to work?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Pull that pump and put it in the 700. I am shocked it ran ok in all honesty as iirc that Walbro puts out more then the Mikuni does.

Nope...that oil leak has nothing to do with the fuel pump. Fuel pump and oil are completely separate down to the lines. Oil goes from oil tank to inline valve to oil pump from oil pump to crankcase where it injects into the engine/fuel system from there. Leaving the fuel system completely separate from the oil system.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts