Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 Polaris 550 Fan is used only for ice fishing. I have a problem and need help. I think I am on the right track but want to ask you all first.

About a month ago, I was routinely starting my sled and noticed that the lights were really dim. Not knowing any better, I started chasing a ground or bad wire. Nothing. So I checked the voltage regulator. The light on the regulator would go on and off. Seemed odd. When I gave it a little tap with a wrench, the regulator light would come back on and the lights lit up correctly. Well I need to order a voltage regulator. It's Christmas time and I was trying to save money and ordered one that "fit" my machine off ebay. I installed it and all seemed ok. That's where it goes south.

I'm from Indiana and a friend of mine wanted to borrow my sled to ice fish in Minnesota because his sled does not have studs. He was fishing at Mile Lacs when I get a text from him. The hand warmers actually melted the grips to his gloves and every light blew. I told him to put it on the trailer and bring it home and don't run it any more.

I got it today and started checking voltage with my meter. The replacement voltage regular was putting on 3.4 volts. I wanted to check the old OEM voltage regulator and my meter read .4 volts and the light on the regulator was on. Weird. I also checked the rectifier and it was putting out atleast 13 volts and climbed when I put RPMS to the motor so I know the rectifier is doing it's job.

So this time I ordered the correct OEM voltage regulator, heated grips, grips and all the bulbs. Am I on the right track here? Can't afford to mess up this time.

I know I should take it to the dealer or an expert and I tried. The only people in my area are 5 weeks out! So I did check.

Thank you so much for the help!

· Administrator
19,575 Posts
Your experience mirrors a lot of other folks that have purchased after-market regulators. They just don't hold up. Does the sled have an electric starter? The regulators are different for the E-start and pull start. The pull start doesn't convert the AC that the stator makes to DC, it just drops the voltage to 13 volts AC or so. The E-start sleds have to have the rectifier (or diode) to convert to 13 volts DC to charge the battery.

If the sled runs as is, it's not likely the ECU was damaged. I hate electrical problems, they are difficult to diagnose without a bunch of test equipment and expensive to fix if you make a mistake. I feel your pain ;)

Welcome to the forum!

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much Dan! You are correct, it has electric start. I did notice today that the generic VR was a lot smaller than the OEM. What voltage should I be getting out of the oem VR? Part # 2203873 and it says it's 14.3 vac. I just wanna proceed with caution repairing this so I don't waste a bunch of money. The part number says 14.3vac LR 7. What is the LR 7 telling me?

· Administrator
19,575 Posts
The stator puts out AC at about 35 or so volts, which doesn't bother the ignition side of things. But bulbs don't like that much. Normal bulbs don't care whether the current is AC or DC, as long as the voltage is good. If the regulator says 14.3vac, it's delivering AC current and not the right regulator for a sled that needs DC to charge the battery. Like Josh said, you can use #1 Powersports Dealer | Babbitt's in West MI | New & Used to look up your sled to see if you can come up with the right part. No idea what the LR7 means...

Delivering AC to DC components is usually really hard on the DC parts... Here's hoping you get lucky!

· Registered
4 Posts
Guys take a look for me please. Is this hooked up correctly? One yellow from the rectifier, one red from the rectifier and one yellow from the VR.

I have not started the sled yet. Does yellow go to yellow and red to red when plugging in to the plug?
Hey Steuben,

I know this an old post. But where did you find the rectifier with the yellow wire and red wire coming out of it? All I can find is ones with one yellow wire.

Thanks,

Matt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts