Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used 2000 Arctic Cat Panther 550 last weekend. It ran great for the first 50 miles or so and then I noticed that if I let off of the throttle a little(like slowing down for a turn) and then getting back on it, it would hesitate and act like it is going to shut off...like i hit the kill switch, then take off again. I have replaced the plugs and used drygas in the tank but it is just getting worse. It does it at all speeds and is now starting to backfire out the exhaust when I get on the throttle occasionally. The sled is still under warrenty but i don't want to have to haul it back to the dealer if I don't need too. Any Ideas what it could be??
Also, does anyone manufacture stiffer springs for the rear. I ride 2-up most of the time and I seem to bottom the suspension out regularly on the trails. Between my wife and I, we load it down pretty good...about 450lbs. together with gear. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
55 Posts
What VEZ said .Its your kill swicth shorting out.If you want to test it unplug your kill swicth.Cant remember if that year had an open or close electrical so you might have to jump the kill swicth plug in .Good luck.Dan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Vez and Catlover, Thats exactly the problem. If i apply downward pressure on the throttle, it cutts out. What a load off my mind...I thought it was going to alot worse than worn washers.:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
you should have a bypass electrical connector in the tool kit (this is for bypassing kill switches) try putting it in that will tell you if the switch is bad

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
00panther550_wn said:
I just bought a used 2000 Arctic Cat Panther 550 last weekend. ...

Also, does anyone manufacture stiffer springs for the rear. I ride 2-up most of the time and I seem to bottom the suspension out regularly on the trails. Between my wife and I, we load it down pretty good...about 450lbs. together with gear. Any thoughts??
I've had a 2000 440 Panther 2-up for a couple weeks now. Does the 550 have the Fast Track adjuster like the 440? There should be a 4" plastic 'lever' on each side of the slider track, which flips forward (there's a tool for that, but a foot works well also) and engages the helper leaf springs for 2-up riding. That should do the trick... assuming the 550 suspension is the same as my 440.

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
damn i really hate those stupid switches. They can be such a pain in the the butt, i had it happen once too. its a little scary. I bought my zr and it never did it, intil i was lookin under the handle bar wrap one day and found that a wire had been broke or cut, so i soldered it back together, thinkin it was the reason my thumbwarmer wouldn't work, well i had to disconnect the key/throttle and kill switch because it did it constantly and the plug was on had all three kills on it, thank goodness for my tether :) If you want to disable the throttle kill switch all together, just cut the small yellow wire that enters into the center of the throttle block(take wrap and padding off handle bars). From what i have experienced it does not bother anything else, i am going to cut mine again. Even with new washers those things can give grief. we went to metal washers on our 370, it seems to works well. My thumbwarmer problem was just a wire had fallen off the pad.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Its probibly in that little throttle switch like they said, the same thing started happening to me, it was like it was running its self out of gas.

·
Registered
12 Posts
As common as the problem is in that machine you'd think it would make sense to "borrow" some elses solution. I've never had any problem with Polaris' design but my 550 Panther acted up right away. I hate not to have the safety of the system but I also hate getting stuck because it bogs at the wrong time. I disconnected mine.

As for hauling weight, those "beefer" springs - the fiberglass boosters- are really a nice feature which should help a lot. They are a design that the other guys should be "borrowing." If they don't do the trick then I'd suggest an additional machine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2000 ZL ESR 550, and it is doing the same thing (cutting out under load or when you let off of it and back on it again) and I would like to try replacing the washers but i'm not sure where the washers they are talking about are located. Are they in the thumb conrtol. Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts