Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
just mEEEEE
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone else frequently have under-cowl fires in their MXZ ? this is the second time for me and its anoying to fix all the fire damage. last time it burned the recoil and injector oil resevoir. this time i was lucky and it only got the fuel lines and injector oil line. how can i keep the brakes from throwing sparks? i think that is the common source of ignition

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
are your brakes locking up (and not releasing)? That's what was happening when our touring got on fire. I don't know that I've ever heard of brakes throwing sparks before?

·
just mEEEEE
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whoa! i just thought of something!
the brake disc is all rusty, which is probly why it is scraping and throwing sparks. But, thermite is made of iron oxide(rust) and aluminium powder. so i have rust, and most everything in the sled is made of aluminium. if any aluminium part was to experience fricion there would be aluminium powder under the cowl. this would make thermite under the cowl and we all know what thermite is like. what are the odds that there was a thermite fire?

In all seriousness, i think i could scrape the rust off the rotoe and it should stop showering the engine with sparks, right?

·
Registered
25 Posts
drain your fluid.. could have water it in . replace caliper and pads and rotor.

i sold a sled to my cuz and it caught fire and melted the hood real good !!

if its the 2nd time remember... comp insurance next time you renew. that would fix the problem of fixing it the 3rd time

1 - 5 of 5 Posts