Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Polaris 600 XCSP and have recently noticed an idle issue. After riding for a while and come to a stop and idle, the idle remains at 3000-3500. If I put the choke on half choke it will drop it down to the specified 1400 rpm. It will sometimes climb back up to about 2000, sometimes stays at 1400. I've heard that in the September SnowTech magazine, has a red Firecat on the cover discusses this issue. Does anybody have an idea or the magazine to give me some help. Thanks

·
Registered
323 Posts
I've got the 2003 xcsp600 and mine does not immediatly drop to around 1400 either, it normally takes a couple seconds. I don't think it's anything to really worry about unless it's something that has not happened before. My 93 xlt will do the same, It normally takes a few seconds for idle to come down. I think if it drops to fast you might get a back fire and possibly damage something. If it never comes down to the proper idle there should be an idle adjustment screw. Mine is between the carbs right on top and is adjustable by hand. If it's something other than this good luck and I hope you find the right answers.

JimmyV

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JimmyV. It doesn't just stay up there at 3000-3500 for a few seconds. It would stay up there forever if I let it. When it does come down by using the choke, it idles at 1400 so the idle screw is right. One dealer told me that I had an air leak between the carbs and the motor. I checked it out and could find nothing. They also said I could have a sticky float. I tore the carb apart again and it was clean and no evidence of a sticky float.

I'll probably have to try the library for that SnowTech magazine and find that article that describes this situation and how to fix it.

·
Registered
711 Posts
How many miles are on it? New engines do this, but if it has 700 plus miles, then i would look into it again, but still, nothing is being hurt, just that you should use your choke to slow it down then shut it off.

dano

1 - 4 of 4 Posts