Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased 2 Polaris snowmobiles (and 1 Arctic Cat) and I am looking for any info I can on how to get them in good condition for riding.
They are 1) 1997 XLT and 2) 1997 Ultra

They have been sitting in a garage for at least 3 years, not been run at all in that time. I smelled the fuel in the tanks and it wasn't too bad, they are almost empty anyway. At a minimum, I figure clean out the tanks, new plugs, clean the carbs, fresh 2 cycle oil, fuel filters. Probably do the fuel and oil lines just because too. Probably going to do a compression check on them too.

Any other things I should look at right away just to get them running good?

Once running good, the chassis will be gone through, everything checked and greased, chain case lube changed, etc.

Looking forward to getting out and riding, been a few years since I've been out.

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
put some oil in the cylinder and turn it over, clean the carbs, new plugs fresh gas clean clutches and new belt

·
oh canada hmmmhmmmhmm
1,370 Posts
Nothing.............

Guess I'll figure it out...............
you have to give it time not everyone is one all the time.

What you named off was pretty much it as far as i'm concerned. you may make sure your slides/hifax , carbides/wear bars are goos also.

look at all your boogies make sure they don't have any or very little play. replacing boogy wheels is easier on a bench than on the trail.

see if you have a grease fitting by the speedometer. commonly missed on doos.

·
Super Moderator
18,338 Posts
If you check the engine/drivetrain portion of the forum, you will find some stickies at the top that list some maintenance items to check for. There are also a lot of "how to's" there, good reading if you are just getting back into maintaining a sled.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

Sorry about being impatient, I'm used to resposes right away on a lot of the forums I belong to. Guess I'll have to get used to waiting for responses :D

I started them up today, only to see if they would run. Fresh gas and cleaned the plugs. Fired up and ran for about 1 minute.

I will be taking them down to a frieds shop on Sunday and we'll get all the items I listed above and the others mentioned here done.

These are the first snowmobiles I have bought, never had the time for it before and the lack of good snow the last few years made it almost pointless to buy any.

put some oil in the cylinder and turn it over, clean the carbs, new plugs fresh gas clean clutches and new belt
Thanks for the info.

you have to give it time not everyone is one all the time.

What you named off was pretty much it as far as i'm concerned. you may make sure your slides/hifax , carbides/wear bars are goos also.

look at all your boogies make sure they don't have any or very little play. replacing boogy wheels is easier on a bench than on the trail.

see if you have a grease fitting by the speedometer. commonly missed on doos.
Thanks for the info. I'll go over them completely and check everything out good. Don't want a break down out on the trails the first time out.

If you check the engine/drivetrain portion of the forum, you will find some stickies at the top that list some maintenance items to check for. There are also a lot of "how to's" there, good reading if you are just getting back into maintaining a sled.

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the welcome!!

I was checking out that section yesterday, lots of good info in there.

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
Sorry about being impatient, I'm used to resposes right away on a lot of the forums I belong to. Guess I'll have to get used to waiting for responses :De.
we tend to be out when the snow flys rather then on the forum :laugh:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts