Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Duper Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First Post my me, Please don't flame me:

Is it worth the extra cost to use synthetic 2 stroke oil in a 1999 Jag?

Also, I smell like oil exaust after riding. Is that normal with 2 strokes, or am I runnign to rich. This is my fiirst sled.

·
710 Posts
I use Redline sythetic and it cost about $25 a gallon. My compression is 130 with 4000 miles on my 600 (135 being the highest). Most people I have seen have 120ish with the same or less miles on them. Depending on what kind of oil you run it should smoke on start up but not really after it's warm.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I would check the manual. Also: synthetic WILL cost you more, so you should have a good reason for switching.

Smelling like smoke is pretty normal. Try not to idle too much (i.e. keep moving), that will minimize the smell on your clothes.

·
Registered
431 Posts
my father had no chain saw oil last fall, so he mixed up a bach of fuel with my amsoil. He was very impressed and said the saw ran atleast 500- 1000 rpm more. I noticed a sustantial differance (better) over conventional oil.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
I used to use regular oil, then switched to synthetic. I could easily tell how much cleaner the engine ran on synthetic, RAVE valves cleaner, etc. Never went back to dino after that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts